Chapter 2: Incheon

The birthplace of many celebrities we see today on TV, one of which is the 30-year-old Rapper Choi Min-ho, a member of the Kpop group called "Shinee". There are many things that Incheon is known for, however, the majority stem from the important role in the country's history. During the Korean War, the most notable memorial is the General MacArthur monument in Jayu (Freedom) Park.

However, the most popular is the Incheon airport, which provides, cultural performances, a spa, an ice skating rink, a movie theatre and all the duty-free shopping you could ever want, it's easy to spend an entire day here. It's no wonder many celebrities channels through this airport due it's outstanding atmosphere and availability through the years it has been running.

Aside from the great luxuries of Incheon, people misconception its glory over its unruly history. For many, the greatest event taken place here was the Korean war (1950 - 1953) which lasted a painful 3 years, when the North Korean Communist army crossed the 38th Parallel and invaded non-Communist South Korea. As Kim Il-sung's North Korean army, armed with Soviet tanks, quickly overran South Korea, the United States came to South Korea's aid.

As a result, a memorial was built on July 27, 1995. The memorial showcases the sacrifices of the 5.8 million Americans who served in the U.S. armed services during the three years of the Korean War. Currently, the Korean War Veterans Memorial is located near the Lincoln Memorial on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. The most iconic feature of the memorial is the 19 stainless steel statues representing the service members who fought in the war. The statues are about 7 feet tall among patches of juniper bushes that symbolize the rice paddies of Korea. 

As a result, nearly 5 million people died. More than half of these–about 10 per cent of Korea's prewar population were civilians. This rate of civilian casualties was higher than in World War II and the Vietnam War. Almost 40,000 Americans died in action in Korea, and more than 100,000 were wounded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.O.V: Moon Hyeyoon

I woke up in the mid of a nightmare that has repeated itself in my mind when I sleep since I was 15. His memorial was the last I remembered of my father, he had served in the mandatory military service. My father was a figure of a man that wouldn't tolerate anyone's bullshit and he made sure you knew it. However, he was reprimanded due to his actions against the laws of serving his duties to South Korean law. As a result, of his actions, he was executed on national TV to be made an example to the rest of the population who would try to disobey the law. His execution was not censored, it was a ghastly sight and many children had witnessed this, especially the males of the population. It's by law now that any male from the age of 18 - 28 is to contribute to the military service for 21 months. 

In consequence, I watched the entirety of his so-called "execution", he wasn't exactly a man to obey rules but the sacrificial truth is that he was murdered for the world to see. I remember the details vividly and the memory of his face before his body hit the floor will forever be burned into my mind. They had his hands zip-tied behind his back and he knelt at the mercy of the other marines who then carried out his punishment. They had made him vow that his life was to set an example for future generations to abide by the South Korean law. They had shaved his hair off, pulled his neck back to expose his throat and with a machete, they slaughtered through his arteries and cartilage of his windpipe. His blood spewed everywhere like a fountain and the blood spewed so far as to reach the camera recording his death.

It's since then that I have focused on my studies to avoid the pain of him no longer being present in my life. Although, his memory of death haunts me every night. For the last 6 years, my mother has insisted that I keep up to date with my therapy, and without her knowledge, I have vowed to myself to not rely on the antidepressants prescribed to me monthly. Sometimes, the images I see of him bring a flood of memories that I never got to experience with him. He didn't get the chance to meet my first boyfriend, watch me graduate high school or even get the approval letter to the university I'm now attending. I hope he sees that his daughter is trying her best.

I'm in my pool of sweat again and breathing heavily. I realised I just had a repeat of that ongoing nightmare and decided to get out of bed to clean myself up. I walked up to my brown varnished dresser and pulled out a new cotton blend pair of pyjamas before heading into the bathroom to shower once again. I ran the hot water and stripped down to my bare skin before entering into the blistering hot shower. I got lost in my thoughts before I heard Subeun's footsteps across the dorm as she made her way to her bed, in hopes of not disturbing me.