The Weirdo on Maple Street

El and I woke up early in the morning. I got up and decided to look around while El stayed in the fort. I saw laundry baskets and posters even some books. I saw a table in the far left of the room. I walked over to it intrigued. It had a board game on it with little figures. I picked one up it had tentacles but it was almost human it was weird. I was pulled out of my thoughts as Mike ran down the stairs. " Oh. That's DnD a board game my friends and I play." He said handing me an eggo. "Okay so here's the plan." He said gesturing for me to come over to the fort.

"I just need you to go out there.
Then go to the front door and ring the doorbell. My mom will answer and you'll tell her that you're lost and that you need help.
But whatever you do, you can't tell her about last night or that you know me. Understand? Really, it's no big deal.
We'll just pretend to meet each other again.
And my mom, she'll know who to call."

"No." I say eating the eggo. "No?" Mike looked confused. "No." El said playing with a walkie talkie. "No you don't want my mom to get help? You're in trouble, aren't you? Who Who are you in trouble with?" Mike wanted to know more.

"Bad." Eleven responded and I nodded.

"Bad? Bad people? They want to hurt you? The bad people?" I made a gun with my fingers and pointed it to my head then to El and then to Mike.
"Understand?" I asked. "Michael, where are you? We're going to be late!" I heard someone call. "Stay here." Mike said and ran off.

~○~

About an hour later Mike came back and led us up into the house. "You want anything to drink? We have OJ, skim milk What else? Um, we have Oh, this is my living room.
It's mostly just for watching TV." Mike explained as El and I walked in it. I was looking at the TV while El wondered around.

"Nice, right? It's a 22-inch.
That's, like, ten times bigger than Dustin's." Mike said proudly. "Curly hair boy?" I asked. "Yeah! That's Dustin!" Mike got excited.

El was looking at pictures above a fireplace and pointed at one of a girl. "Pretty." She said as Mike walked over. "I guess. That's my sister Nancy. And that's baby Holly. And those are my parents. What are your parents like? Do they live close?" Mike explained and questioned. El and I looked at each other. She walked towards a chair ignoring his question.

"That's our La-Z-Boy.
It's where my dad sleeps.
You can try it if you want." El looked confused "Yeah. It's fun." Mike reassured her. El sat in the chair. "Just trust me, okay?" Mike said as he pulled a lever. The chair pushed back and revealed a fool rest. "See? Fun, right? Now you try." Mike retracted the lever so the chair went back to normal. El pulled the lever and went back. She smiled for the first time in so long.

~○~

Mike led us upstairs into his room. We looked around and I picked up a small green figure. "Ready are you? What knows you of ready? His name's Yoda.
He can use the Force to move things with his mind, like this.
Whoosh!" I jolted back and smiled "Oh, this is my dinosaur, Rory.
Look, he has a speaker in his mouth so he can roar." Mike seemed excited.
"Oh, these are all my science fair trophies.
We got first every year.
Except for last year when we got third.
Mr.
Clarke said it was totally political." Mike walked over to El who was pointing at a boy with a bowl cut.
"You know Will? Did you see him? Last night? On the road?" Mike wanted answers but was cut off when we heard the front door open.
"Ted? Is that you?" We heard a woman's voice ask. "Just me, Mom!"  "Mike? What are you doing home?" "One second! In here." Mike opened his cupboard door. I could tell El was nervous.

"I'll be right back, okay? Please, you have to get in, or my mom, she'll find you.
Do you understand? I won't tell her about you. I promise." Mike reassured us.

"Promise?" El looked at me then Mike. "It means something that you can't break...Ever." We want into the closet and Mike shut the door. It was dark, El was snuggled next to me and I held her. I started getting flashbacks of the lab. I I started breathing heavily. I was bought back to reality by Mike who opened up the door. "El? Y/n? Are you guys okay?"

We nod. "Are you sure?" "Promise" El speakes up.

~○~

"Are you out of your mind?" Lucas looked at El then back to Mike. "Just listen to me."
"You are out of your mind!" Lucas wasn't interested. "She knows about Will!" Mike blurted out
"What do you mean she knows about Will?" Dustin asked. Mike picked up a picture. "She pointed at him, at his picture. She knew he was missing...I could tell." Mike argued. "You could tell?"  "Just think about it. Do you really think it was a coincidence that we found them on Mirkwood, the same place where Will disappeared?" "That is weird." "And they said bad people are after them." Mike explained. "I think maybe these bad people are the same ones that took Will. I think she knows what happened to him."

"Then why doesn't she tell us?" Lucas walked toward us. "Do you know where he is? Do you know where Will is?" Lucas asked El in a stern voice. El started to lean against me in response.

"Stop it, you're scaring her!" Mike argued. "She should be scared! If you know where he is, tell us!" Lucas yelled at us.  "This is nuts. We have to take them to your mom." Lucas walked towards the door.

"No! Y/n said telling any adult would put us in danger." "What kind of danger?" Dustin spoke up.  "Mike, what kind of danger?" "Danger danger." Mike finally answered.
"No, no, no! We're going back to plan A.
We're telling your mom." Lucas opened the door.

"No." El said as the door slammed shut. Her arm was out and blood dripped from her nose.

~○~

Mike, Lucas and Dustin had left us in Mike's room while they went and ate dinner. It was about 10 minutes later I was getting bored and remembered there were books in the basement. I took El's hand and we went downstairs.

I heard Mike choke on some milk and Dustin slam the table which made us jolt.

El was playing with a walkie talkie and I was looking at the books.

Mike and his friends came down anout 5 minutes later holding a tray. "No adults just us and some meatloaf." Mike said placing down the tray by El.

I grabbed and plate and dug in. They were talking about something I'm not sure what I wasn't paying attention.

El got up and sat at the table with the boys following closely behind her. She closed her eyes for a bit before opening them again. She picked up a figure which looked like a wizard. "Will." El said. "Superpowers." Dustin lit up. Lucas rolled his eyes. "Did you see him on Mirkwood?" Mike asked. El shook her head before pushing the rest of the figures off the board and flipping it.
She placed the wizard in the center of the dark board. "Hiding." El looked at the wizard. "Will's hiding? From the bad men?" Mike asked. El shook her head again. "Then from who?" Mike looked at El. She picked up a dragon with two heads and tentacles and placed it on the board.

The boys looked at each other.