A Surprise Arrival

"Eun Chang-su has offered to help us flee to another country safely

"Eun Chang-su has offered to help us flee to another country safely." Soo-ho informs his comrades. "What do you guys think?"

"Are you insane? How can we trust him?" Gyeok-chan snaps.

"We can't. We shouldn't trust him, but we can use this offer to our advantage. Young Ro will be coming with us to make sure that her father doesn't try anything. The election is in five days. If we stay here like this, in five days...we'll all die." Soo-ho explains. "If you guys decide to stay here, I will too. But...if you think your family will be safe if you die here, you're mistaken."

Eung Cheol sighs. "We must live to find a way to save our families. I will do as you say, Comrade Lim."

Soo-ho smiles and pats his arm before turning to Gyeok-chan.

"...I see nothing wrong with staying a few more days." He replies with a shrug.

It takes a moment for Soo-ho to realize his wanting to continue staying and glares at his comrade. He then walks over and kicks the chair that Gyeok-chan is sitting in, causing the man to fall on the floor.

"What the hell?!" Gyeok-chan yells.

"Eomma. Can I ask you a question?" Seung Hee turns to her daughter and nods. "Why did you put up with Bun Ok for so long? You knew what she was like and always let her off the hook whenever she was in the wrong..."

"...Because I was once best friends with her sister. Her name was Yeon Ok." Seung Hee answers, shocking Hana. "Before I met your father, I was in a relationship with another man. He was my first love, and I was going to marry him... Until I found out he had been sleeping with Yeon Ok... They both ruined everything. I told them to never appear in front of me again. I found him so pathetic when he begged for me not to leave him. As for her...she didn't say anything. As if she didn't know what to say or she just didn't care."

Hana sniffles and grabs a tissue.

"After that, I spent more time focusing on schoolwork and taking care of others, anything to avoid the pain they inflicted on it. But when I met Il-sung... He was the one who healed my broken heart. He put the pieces back together like it was nothing. Yet the day when he died is when I reunited with Yeon Ok. It was before I returned to our home. Even though I was upset with your father, I went out to buy more butterscotch anyway and I bumped into her on my way home."

Flashback

On her way back home, Seung Hee stops when she hears someone call out to her.

"Seung Hee?" She turns around and her eyes widened upon seeing her ex-best friend. "It really is you! It's been so long since I last seen you."

Seung Hee doesn't respond and looks at her with an emotionless expression. As she attempts to leave, Yeon Ok speaks up again.