5

Nico knew he had lost pole position when his race engineer instructed him to go out first so that Lewis could benefit from the slipstream. It worked. Lewis set his pole position time, and Nico was just over six-tenths behind him in P2.

It wasn't that P2 was terrible, and at Bahrain, sometimes the driver starting on the left side of the track would be able to get a better start; however, the smug look on Lewis' face was driving Nico crazy. "Next time, you go out first." Nico bit as he joined Lewis in the queue to get weighed before going to the media pen.

Lewis seemed unbothered by the German, which appeared to infuriate Nico even further. Nevertheless, he kept his cool. This would be a long season, and Nico spoke 'Lewis' fluently.

"I don't think you get to call the shots around here, at least not since you quit." Lewis grinned as they stood arms around each other in front of the media pen. "I don't even know why you came back...." The Brit added as the cameras clicked.

Toto had informed the two volatile personalities that if there was even a glimmer of war, he would be replacing both of them. Lewis felt this was unfair given all he had done for the team, but he was also very aware that Toto meant Nico would be replaced. The Eight-Time World Champion had earned his right to be the number one driver, and he wasn't about to let Nico take it from him.

Nico mumbled incoherently, but the crowd cheering for the pole sitter drowned out whatever he had said, not that Lewis would have listened anyway. In days gone by, Nico knew precisely how to get under Lewis's skin, but Lewis had matured in the seven years since the German had retired. He was no longer the young playboy who barked back at every negative comment; Lewis was done proving himself and was focusing on how he could make the sport better. Getting rid of Nico a second time would go far.

The top three, Lewis, Nico and Charles Leclerc, conducted brief trackside interviews with Jenson Button before they were ushered to face the broader media. Usually, they would have a quick break so they could change; however, the new FIA President had brought in a new rule requiring them to complete the Qualifying Podium interviews in full race attire.

Lewis sat in the middle, although he wished that Charles would. Nico was drinking a can of white Monster Energy Drink, and Lewis could hear every gulp. He cracked his neck to each side, trying to distract himself from the slurping.

"First question is for Lewis, from John Victor, Sky Sports." The mediator announced, and Lewis straightened himself in the chair.

'Firstly, welcome Back, Sir Lewis. After the Abu Dhabi catastrophe, many people wondered if you would walk away from the sport, but I think I can speak for many when I say the sport wouldn't be the same without you. My question, Coming off of the events of Abu Dhabi, how are you feeling regarding this season and do you feel that you can put it behind you?'

Lewis bit his lip. He had spent most of the Winter Break hidden away from social media after the awful and heart-wrenching events that cost him winning his Eighth title on the track. He remembered each lap vividly, and coming back from it was tough. However, the FIA had, eventually, after many protests from fans, done the right thing and cancelled the last lap, which reversed the decision and crowned Lewis Hamilton World Champion in 2022.

"Yeah, hi, thanks. I appreciate the kind words; um, I definitely thought about walking away." Lewis swallowed as he thought about how best to articulate his words. "I've given so much of my life and heart to this sport, and I didn't know if I could give any more. However, Team LH and the wider sporting community lifted my spirits. I wasn't expecting the results to be changed, and honestly, I see it has a half championship. It was a championship decided in an office, and that's not what the sport is. But I am happy to be back, and I think that I have dealt with my feelings. I'm ready to channel all of that into the new car and season."