000

Hawkins, Indiana.

People will tell you that it's cursed, or that it's where the Devil lives.

They aren't that far off, beneath the sunny disposition of the small town, there lives a world that no one dares to go to...

Not even when they're dragged from this world to that one.

-

"Marie, what time did Dustin say he was suppose to be home?" Marie hears her mother yell from the living room. She looks up at the clock that sat above her doorway, it was later than usual.

"They should be done with the campaign by now, so he'll be home soon." She calls back to her mother, hearing a hum in response she turns back to Steve.

Steve Harrington, had been her best friend since the third grade. He was the grade above her, and noticed when one day she was getting picked on. He stepped up and told the bullies to leave her alone, then got his ass whooped.

She made sure he was alright after the incident, but he was more worried for her. The next day, he sat with her at lunch. They even traded lunches, and since then they were kinda inseparable.

"You know you should just tell Nancy how you feel." Marie tells him, and he shakes his head.

"No, I gotta act like I don't care. It'll drive her crazy." Steve responded, he had been telling his best friend about Nancy Wheeler, the newest girl he had his eyes on.

Nancy and Marie had known each other for awhile because of their little brothers, Dustin and Mike. The two of them were always with each other, and their other friends. So the two older sisters constantly saw one another.

"Yeah, it'll drive her crazy. But maybe it'll make her sane enough to realize that maybe she could do better than you." Marie tells Steve, and he pushes her.

"Why's that?" He asks, and Marie looked him dead in the eyes.

Steve was stuck up, she'd known that much all their lives. He had rich parents, and a nice big fancy house, and a new car. He always had girls throwing themselves at him, but none of that appealed to him.

He had to have Nancy.

"You'll find out." She tells him as she hears the front door open.

Footsteps padded down the hallway, and when she peeked out the doorway she saw Dustin standing there.

"Hey what's up?" She asked, and he sighed.

Walking into his big sisters room, he dropped his bag on the ground and laid face first on her bed. He groaned, and she chuckled.

"You guys lost didn't you?" She asks him, and he groans.

"Does that mean yes?" Steve asks, and she turns to him and nods her head.

"Steve, honey, your mom called," Mrs. Henderson called from the living room, "Said you should be heading home."

"Okay!" Steve called back, he stood up gathering his things.

"Need a ride in the morning?" He looked down at Marie.

"Sure, as long as you bring me coffee." She says, he chuckles and kisses the top of her head.

"Sure thing, Henderson." He walked out of her bedroom, she could hear him say goodbye to her mother.

"Dustin, you should start getting ready for bed. You're not missing school tomorrow." Marie tells her little brother. She could hear shuffling from her bed, and looking over her shoulder she saw Dustin stand up.