019

Marie regretted her decision on not driving the moment she sat down in the backseat with Steve laying on her and Dustin. Max wasn't terrible at driving, she just had a hard time seeing over the steerling wheel, and touching the gas and break pedals.

"Nancy?" Steve's voice made Marie look down at the boy, and she realized that he'd freak out.

"No, don't touch it. Hey buddy. It's okay. You put up a good fight, he kicked your ass, but you put up a fight." Dustin says to Steve, and Marie glares at her brother.

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai." Lucas says to Max, and Steve looked up and saw Marie. She gave him a small smile, which caused Steve to look at the drivers seat.

"What's going on? Oh, my God!" Steve freaked out, and Marie tried to calm him down.

"Steve please, she's driven before okay. It might've been in a parking lot, but she's driven before." Steve looked up at Marie, confused as to why she wasn't the one who had driven the car.

"Dustin and I promised that you'd be cool, okay?" Marie says to him, but this doesn't calm him down. And this causes a full on freakout within the car, and it before Marie knew it everyone in the car was screaming and the car was on two wheels as Max made the turn.

She floored it and Marie held on to Steve and closed her eyes, scared that these were her final moments. So when the screaming stopped and she opened her eyes and saw that they were at the same spot Hopper's truck had been just days prior, she let go of the breath she was holding.

"Hello!" Steve yelled when they first realized that they had stopped, and Marie smiled down at him.

"Whoa!" Dustin yelled out.

"Incredible." Lucas and Mike said together, Marie looked around them.

"I told you. Zoomer." Max says, Max and Lucas then get out of the car and pull the seats forward for everyone in the backseats to get out. Marie and Steve were the last two out of the car, and almost immediately did Steve start yelling at them.

"Guys. Oh, no. Guys. Hey, where do you think you're going?" He asked when the kids started grabbing their backpacks and masks and goggles to go down into the tunnels.

"What are you, deaf? Hello? We are not going down there right now. I made myself clear. Hey, there's no chance we're going to that hole, all right? This ends right now!" Marie walked in front of him, and grabbed his face.

"Steve, you're upset, I get it. Okay? Bottom line is, a member of their party requires assistance, and it is their duty to provide it. Now listen I know you promised Nancy that you would keep them safe, so please keep them safe with me." Marie holds out an extra backpack, mask and goggles they had packed for him.

"Fine, but only because you asked nicely." He says, and she helps him get the goggle and mask on, considering his face was busted up.

"You know I thought you were kinda hot when you gave the whole speech about us being benched." Marie says as she loosens the goggles to fit on his face.

"Really?" He asked her, and she looked up at him.

"Yeah, and the way you were so determined to keep those kids safe from Billy... hot." She said, and she carefully placed the goggles on his face.

"I only hit him because he touched you and Lucas." He said to her, and she looked into his eyes. He then touched her cheek, and she winced when he did so.

"You've got a bruise on your cheek, Marie." Steve says, and she shrugs it off.

"I didn't care about me in that moment, okay? I was more worried for Lucas, and what Billy was going to do to him." She says, and she grabs the bandana from her pocket and reached up to wrap it around Steve's face.