(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞) bloodthirsty

✧✧✧

ESTELLA WAS PULLED FROM HER THOUGHTS with the sound of the heavy double doors opening. It shocked her somewhat, Este presumed all entrances were so announced. Whenever she'd entered the double doors she'd felt eyes beyond what they could see. Everything seemed to happen periodically yet now she'd been broken from her staring across at Caius' cynical gaze as the scent exploded into the room.

The metallic drug seeped over stone walls and Este smelt them before she heard them, that's when she saw them. Their voices were clear and crisp and Este would have realised sooner what was coming if her senses weren't still drowning in her shadowed parasite. Many were excited, some confused, few concerned.

She spotted them as they entered the room, staring at the high ceilings. They reminded Estella of herself. She recalled the first time she had entered the room her gaze had been caught by the glorious paintings towering on the stone ceilings. She still didn't understand the architecture of the deep underground castle but it amazed her nonetheless.

"Welcome, welcome to Volterra!" Aro beamed as he got to his feet.

Este had never really seen her kind as monsters, she'd thought it of herself even when she did everything to prevent such thoughts. She'd hunted bad people, terrible people. After that her eyes had been hazed with amber. She'd thought about making mistakes and slipping up but she never had. Bella was her exception and the girl was free of any cursed implications.

Yet now as she watched the hoard of tourists walk in awe into the room, she felt she knew exactly what she was, what those around her were. They were not good people, they weren't people at all. Their red eyes spoke of misfortune and Este knew the sheer size of this group was nothing but greed. Their blood pulsed in their veins, red tinges in their cheeks. Sunburnt shoulders shrouding freckles, each carried their own scent masking metal but it wasn't strong enough.

Este had never seen this before, only heard the screams run through hallways. It happened faster than she expected it to. Vampires weren't necessarily accustomed to playing with their food yet she couldn't imagine that in minutes everyone inside, everyone with a working heartbeat would be dead. The double doors slammed shut as Heidi strode into the room, her long legs concealed by translucent tights.

"Do what you intend" Caius got to his feet as the tourists looked around fearfully, "but know this Estella, you will never truly understand satisfaction... that can place strange boundaries onto a mind"

The first scream was a woman, clutching to the arm of her husband. She looked like a mother, sunglasses pushing back her fringe and her face burnt so much that she stung scarlet. She fell back as her husband frowned in confusion. It didn't take him long to sense her fear. The vampires were closing in now, eyeing up the ones they wanted most. Estella sat in her chair, frozen in horror.

She imagined Carlisle excusing himself, angry whispers of his own involvement in their ranks. No wonder he left, he would never be able to put up with a show such as this. Estella tried to harbour his own sensibility, clutching her hands against the arms of her chair. This did nothing to quell the dull ache within the back of her throat.

Aro struck first, Este wondered whether this would always be the case. He grabbed hold of the sunburnt woman's husband, pushing his head to he side as he sunk his teeth into the side of his neck. The outburst was phenomenal. Screams seemed to synchronise in terror as they ran for the doors. After that it was bedlam. Arms were grabbed and thrown to the floor as the vampires cheered.

She watched Caius, he seemed less excited about all the mess. There were too many humans which meant they scattered in the time it took for the vampires to drink. It was too much for Estella to deal with. She watched the painted red lips and the torn flesh. Vampires didn't need more than one human to feast off, not in the Volturi's already pristine condition but nonetheless they had at least three each. Este closed her eyes and thought of Carlisle sitting by her ear.