(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫) saying goodbye

✧✧✧

FORKS WASHINGTON HAD HELD MANY memories for the Cullens and sure not all of them were perfect but a lot of them were happy. Although Estella's time in the state of Washington had been partially tarnished by Caius and his desire to see an end to her, she saw it as her home more than she felt anywhere ever had been. It had been different from Colorado, different from Alaska. It was something she couldn't exactly comprehend, perfection in such a small place but it had been right for them from the very beginning. It was simply a shame that things didn't go right for them.

Their home stayed that way, their house set up within the comfort of trees and for the next couple of years, Este worked in the high school just as she once had. It was strange going back to being so ordinarily human. She taught kids about literature and forgot that at some point her life had been human blood and misery.

It was nice to fall back into routine, to talk in staff rooms and mark midterms. Este didn't have any children in that school and it felt weird to walk the corridors alone in who she was. Maybe this would have threatened her back in the day but as she sat at her desk, fresh flowers in vases and new smiles on faces she knew that she was safe, that she was secure in her own being.

For a while Forks was all they needed. It was a warm hug and Este knew people there which was a strange thought. Of course there were always comments about how they simply didn't age. Este would always joke about skincare routines, the importance of drinking water and people would laugh along with her. But at some point, there'd always be the knowledge that there were no lines on her face. That she would retain the same posture, her hair would always have the same volume.

At some point, Bella's absence from the town would become a confusion. At some point when Stella reached a glowing age of around eighteen they'd have to consider that she simply wouldn't grow anymore. It was strange, the way she grew so rapidly. She was as tall as mother and as beautiful too. Her hair fell to her waist and she developed with intelligence just as fast until Este blinked and she was a woman. It was such a strange concept but Este supposed her life never added up to anything normal.

So although they loved Forks, although the town became part of them, they couldn't stay there indefinitely. Este knew she would miss the town and it's pine trees. The twirling dark roads and rain showers that flecked windows in small crystals. She'd miss the art of teaching, of whiteboards and homework. She'd miss her office and she'd miss the people she worked with, especially Hazel who'd become a friend to her.

But as she saw the people around her growing older, wiser to her youth it was the only smart way forwards. Este had seen it before in Colorado and then again in Alaska. They could try and hide away from prying eyes and sparking opinions but slowly as time passed, they'd be forced to start again just as they would do every decade.

Towards the end of the 2000's, the Cullens sat down in their living room which had become a comfort to them. Este saw the house she'd designed and she wondered where the next would be placed.

"I think you know what has to happen" Carlisle spoke simply, "and I know it's going to be more complicated this time"

He looked at Bella and they all knew what he was referring to. Jacob had been an increasing problem over the last many years. Since he'd imprinted on Stella, he'd been a constant presence in the Cullen's lives. It wasn't exactly something they enjoyed, wolves and vampires would never get along. Bella and Jacob had been starting to prove this didn't have to be the case but regardless, they didn't enjoy the idea of Jacob being connected to a member of their family. Jacob was always intent on not leaving but the Cullens could never stay forever. It was too dangerous for everyone involved.