(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧) the secret to end them all

✧✧✧

CAIUS HADN'T BEEN LYING WHEN HE SAID THE LIBRARY WAS IMPRESSIVE. Este supposed she shouldn't have expected anything less considering the wealth of the Volturi and the way they lived down in the halls of Volterra. Everything always seemed grand and over the top. The library was no exception.

The ceilings were as high as the throne room but within this room they had reason to be. Bookshelves stretched almost to the top, books lined every single shelf. The colours of the spines clashed in dark maroons to bright ceruleans. Este felt she was gawping in awe as she turned around, her head tilted back.

There was art over the walls painted directly onto the stone. Unlike the rest of the castle-like building the art didn't include angels, clouds and a glamorous impression of the vampires who lived down there. Instead they depicted pictures that could've come directly out the pages of the books. Este saw soldiers with swords riding on horseback and large castles, dragons and elves. It was all very mystical.

The room itself was huge, fake windows painted beside the art which showed sunsets of pastel colours. Este couldn't quite believe her eyes as she stared at the gold decorations of each row of bookshelves and the large velvet sofas that sat in seclusion waiting for someone to take a seat.

"You like it?" Caius asked knowingly as Este walked around, trying to figure out the organisation of the shelves,

"If I'd known this was here I wouldn't have been in my room so much"

"I assumed you knew" Caius replied, "I come here often"

"I can see why" Este spoke as her fingertips lightly grazed one of the golden details. They curved into shapes like waves or trailed like stems of ivy making everything look more expensive and ornate.

"You're allowed in here whenever you please" Caius continued, "I suppose there must be at least one book in here you haven't read"

"Oh definitely" Este replied.

"I've read them all" he spoke in a matter of fact tone,

"All of them?" Este turned to him in surprise, "every single one?"

"Yes" Caius nodded, "I've been here for centuries Estella, we don't exactly get book deliveries so most of these are ancient"

"I forget how long you've been alive" Este muttered as she started examining the shelves again, "how are they organised?"

"By genre and then alphabetical by author" Caius said simply.

Este watched him out the corner of her eye as he moved to sit on one of the velvet sofas. He didn't have a book in his hands instead he stared over the brushing of paint above his head. She frowned in confusion and curiosity.

"I didn't realise there was so much tension between you and Aro" Este spoke carefully, fearful that she might be stepping out of line. However Caius didn't seem to think so. He turned his head as though he'd been expecting the question.

"It's always been that way, I'm surprised you've never noticed" Caius stated, "Aro is the oldest and therefore he takes control. It's hard to argue about and in fairness I don't always find issue with it. I feel Marcus knows the most out of us and they see me as weaker simply because I was turned younger than they were"

"How old were you?"

"Twenty-three" Caius answered, "however I've been alive as long as they have really. After a thousand years I don't believe it truly matters. Maybe it's the way I act that places me younger, who knows"

"They talked of your past" Este stepped forwards, "your power"

"Yes" Caius smiled to himself, "I used to use it to manipulate people"