(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧) the sanity of carlisle

✧✧✧

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?" Este laughed nervously as she watched the evident panic spread over Carlisle's face, "look I know you got angry there but it really doesn't matter. Caius will get over it and it was reasonable considering me stressing out over nothing—"

"Stella listen to me, just listen to me" he reached out and grabbed her hands. Este couldn't remember the last time she'd seen him so frail, his expression broken. "Promise me you're just going to listen because this might be hard for you to understand"

"Carlisle you're freaking me out" Este smiled lightly as she squeezed his hands, "I'm not annoyed at you... about before"

"Just promise me you're going to listen" Carlisle pleaded.

"Of course I'll listen" Este murmured.

"You trust Caius" Carlisle stated, "why?"

"Because... because he's helping me" Este started to explain,

"Does your mind genuinely feel better?"

"I mean... it hasn't snapped in a while" Este frowned, "but just now... I heard the whispers again stronger than they've been before but... something went wrong back there"

"Or something went right" Carlisle continued.

"I'm confused"

"Caius is riddled in manipulation. His history is littered with it"

"You think he's making me trust him" Este frowned, "making me think that my mind is getting better so, what? Aro puts less pressure on him or something? I know Jane's been busy recently"

"It's more than that" Carlisle held tighter to her hands, "Stella I think... I think Caius might have more to do with this than I originally thought. I knew there was something going on from the moment I got here. His willingness to help and today... Aro's desperation to find something in your mind. The Volturi only care about one thing, themselves which is why I knew there was more to it, I knew and now—"

"What are you saying?" Estella asked slowly.

"These kind of things don't just happen, minds don't just fall apart"

"We haven't figured out what it is yet, I'm not saying it's normal"

"No, it's not normal it's purposeful" Carlisle seemed determined to throw all these words out into the open, "Estella I'm telling you that Caius is the reason that your mind is the way it is, he's caused this, it's him behind it all. His power is to twists minds and emotions and if it started a decade ago, that's when we were in all the mess with the Volturi. Este it makes perfect sense—"

"No it doesn't" Este shook her head.

"I know, I know that's how it seems" Carlisle sighed, "because he's so deep inside of your mind Stella and now you're here he's desperately trying to cover his tracks so we don't figure it out. That is why you trust him"

"No Carlisle that's not" Este paused, "because... I would know"

"Listen" Carlisle turned her around to sit on the velvet sofa behind them, hands on her shoulders as he crouched before her eyes, "back in the days when Caius used his power, it was chaos. Many people lost their minds, started doing things completely out of character and Aro was forced to put a stop to it to save their reputations. But Caius still had his power all this time, he's careful, he's meticulous... assured that he won't get caught"

"I think you're wrong" Este whispered.

"That's because you're being forced to trust him, to believe he's actually doing something" Carlisle sounded desperate, "but he's not doing anything Este, nothing at all. He's only making it worse—"