(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧) standing on the edge

✧✧✧

"IRINA?" CARLISLE WALKED INTO THE ROOM as he dropped Este's hand. The shock of it all had broken their sealed bond and as she followed she sensed this was only going to continue.

She was stood in the centre of the room, her blonde hair piled in some complex style of plaits and small curled sections that all in all looked odd against her pallid neck and strong jaw. Irina turned in surprise, eyes glowing golden as she whipped her head around to stare at Carlisle and Estella walking into the room.

"What are you doing here?" She snapped, looking like a child who had been caught in some immature act of trouble.

"What are you doing here?" Carlisle sounded angered, "what exactly are you coming here to accuse my family of?"

"Do you know?" Irina murmured, "what they have done?"

"I think the fact I asked you suggests that I don't" Carlisle didn't sound worried, his tone was strong and as usual he kept his glare on his cousin as though daring her to deceit him again.

"They have... created an immortal child"

Este frowned in wonder as she stared at Carlisle. Of course she knew this to be fraudulent. Was she discussing Bella's daughter? If so she couldn't be further from the mark. This almost came as a relief to her, for a moment she had been scared that they were going to be thrown into yet another hurricane, what they were contained with was enough.

"We have done no such thing" Carlisle turned to Aro, "Bella had a child—"

"Impossible" Aro pushed himself from his throne.

In the time that Estella and Carlisle had been talking, Marcus and Caius had returned to their thrones. She paid careful attention to both of them. Caius looked intrigued by Irina's words but he was missing his usual malice that would come hand in hand with every conspiracy that included the Cullens. Marcus looked dazed and Este wondered whether Caius' power could possibly be so visual. If so, could Carlisle really believe she was in the same trance?

"I saw it with my own eyes... you know my families history, what my mother did" Irina's breath caught in her throat, "I would not mistake such a thing"

"Bella has a daughter yes but she is not an immortal child"

"I was under the impression that Bella was one of us now" Aro smiled almost vindictively, "isn't that what you suggested, Carlisle?"

"She fell pregnant before the transformation" Carlisle walked forwards and Este pondered whether she should follow, "we changed her, Edward changed her after she gave birth"

"She was unfaithful?" Aro asked casually.

"This was not a human child!" Irina declared.

"No, she's not human—"

"Impossible" Aro frowned, "are you suggesting that this is as much Edward's biological child as Bella's"

"That's exactly what I'm suggesting—"

"Then you really must think me a fool" Aro spoke slowly, "you expect me to believe such ridicule?"

"It's the truth!" Carlisle sounded pleading. "I didn't believe it could happen myself but I saw it with my own eyes Aro, Edward's biological daughter... Bella and Edward are more than anything one of a kind, how could we understand if this is possible if it has never happened before"

"Such thing has happened before"

"Without murder, purposeful or accidental?" Carlisle raised his eyebrows, "I don't believe it has. Edward's level of self control with Bella has succeeded even what I believe could be possible of myself... this child, she is a wonder... an amazing and unique girl... I have never seen anything like her Aro"