(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭) never alone

✧✧✧

"CARLISLE?" ESTE CALLED FROM ACROSS THE ROOM before she started to push past people she didn't even know. She took long strides, not losing the contact she held with his eyes. If it hadn't been for Caius' comment, Este might've believed that she'd made this up.

As soon as she made it to him, she threw her arms round his neck, holding herself to him and winding her fingers into his hair, pressing her lips into the side of his neck as though scared he was going to disappear. He hugged her back immediately, twisting his arms around her waist and squeezing her gently.

Este couldn't believe it had only been a couple of weeks. It felt like a lot longer, years even. Time had been moving differently down in the halls of Volterra and now Este was sure that it had been ages since she'd held him. Este didn't want to let go. She'd been aware that she'd been missing him so much that it hurt yet somehow she hadn't realised just how incredible it would be to see him again.

"Stella" Carlisle spoke close to her ear as he stroked his hand through her hair, "Stella I've missed you so much"

Este stepped back and placed both her hands on the side of his face, staring at him as though making sure to herself that he was real. He watched her in contemplation for a moment before his eyes broke into a frown.

"What's wrong?" Este asked immediately, "what's happened?"

"Your eyes" he whispered as he stared at her. Este had forgotten but now it all came crashing back to her. The bright scarlet that swam there. It would be bright that day considering it was only yesterday that she'd attacked the human.

"Oh" Este murmured, "it seemed like a less stressful solution... don't be angry about it"

"I couldn't be angry at you" Carlisle brushed the side of her face with his fingertips, "I'm just worried... really worried about you, Este what are you doing here?"

"Carlisle!" Aro beamed, suddenly appearing at Este's shoulder. She'd completely forgotten they were standing in a room full of people probably hanging on every word. Carlisle's presence always did that to her.

"What a lovely surprise" Aro continued, "it's always great to see an old friend, what brings you here?"

"What do you think?" Carlisle asked bitterly as his grip on Este's waist tightened.

"Of course" Aro seemed taken aback by his tone, "we were under the impression you didn't know that Estella was here. Or I wouldn't have asked the question"

"I didn't know" Carlisle muttered, "Alice had a vision yesterday about Este being in Volterra and I came straight here"

"What was the vision?" Aro asked before Este could've even thought about the question.

"It was of Este... killing a human" Carlisle spoke in a strained way, "the girl behind the desk"

"Ah yes well that happened" Aro nodded, "it was such a shame, Gianna had a lot of prosper but nothing can be done about it now. It wasn't Este's fault of course. No blame there. Her mind snapped—"

"I gathered" Carlisle talked over Aro, "I didn't mean to... interrupt"

Carlisle cast a glance over the celebration littered around the room. Everyone was staring at them now as Este turned and found herself stood at Carlisle's side. She looked to the back of the room to spot Caius only to see that he was no longer stood there.

"Oh you're always welcome here" Aro replied, "I was disappointed that Estella told me you wouldn't be joining. You're free to stay here as long as you want"