(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧) conspiracy

✧✧✧

CARLISLE HAD BARELY RETURNED FROM HUNTING when he and Estella were called for by the guard. Este had been in the library when he was walking around searching from her. Este didn't even know what she was looking for, some book on the history of the Volturi. They were such a whirlwind of narcissism that it seemed unbelievable that none of their perfectly designed library held a snippet of their own name.

Este didn't know what she wanted to find, what questions she was really asking. Everything still seemed like a murky pool of unknown. Yet she traced her fingers over heavy volumes with their leather covers and crinkled papers under the hope that an answer would leap out and hit her in the face.

Carlisle had found her not long after, his eyes a soft amber and his smile more prominent than it had been before. Upon not finding Estella in their room, he knew the next best place to look and Este was ripped from her thoughts by the feeling of arms wrapping around her waist.

She grinned, spinning around and meeting the eyes of her husband as he looked down at her in admiration.

"You're back" she murmured, placing her hands on the sides of his face before she brought his lips to meet hers in a graceful kiss.

"I've only been a couple of hours" Carlisle stated simply, brushing her hair away from her face.

"Yes I know but I have questions for you" Estella continued, reaching down and locking her fingers with his before she turned and started to walk from the library. Carlisle followed in confusion as Este escaped the walls she'd been contained in for the past hour.

"Has something happened?" Carlisle asked gently as they walked swiftly down the corridor. Este was looking around timidly as though scared someone was going to jump out at her. She didn't even know where this came from, Este knew nothing yet somehow she felt she was on the edge of a cliff and one more step would send her spiralling down into sudden understanding.

Este didn't say anything until she pushed Carlisle inside of their room and shut the door tight behind them. This room had become their safe place, a sanctuary. She felt they could not be reached from inside the heavy stone walls.

"First of all" Este pushed Carlisle's shoulders down to sit on the sofa, he obliged quickly. "You do speak Latin right because half of the books in the library are in Latin—"

"You know I speak Latin" Carlisle interrupted.

"I was just checking" Este smiled, "so you'll read some to me?"

"In Latin?"

"No obviously not" Este rolled her eyes, hitting his arm lightly as she saw him break out into a laugh, "you're such a..."

"A what?" Carlisle asked as Este moved to sit next to him, her legs over his lap.

"A fool" Este muttered, "a very handsome fool"

"I'll take that" Carlisle smirked, "you're telling me that you dragged me all the way out of the library and back to the room just to ask me if I speak Latin which is something you very definitely already knew"

"No" Este shook her head as she moved slightly closer to him, "No I wanted to ask you... well actually I'm not sure what I wanted to ask. Did you know Aro had a sister?"

"Yes" Carlisle nodded, "I met her"

"What?" Este frowned, "you were here then?"

"Yeah, she's dead Stella... it was a big thing at the time, controversy... political corruption. All the fun stuff—"

"You never mentioned any of this"

"I didn't think you'd find much interest in the idea that Aro had a sister" Carlisle frowned, "honestly I haven't thought about her, it was pretty much ruled that the states had killed her for betrayal of their board. The Volturi learnt secrets of how the American government were so fast at responding to problems and in fairness I believe that Didyme was the reason that the Volturi learnt the secrets but—"