(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧) the way things happen

✧✧✧

SHE PUSHED OPEN THE DOOR OF THE ROOM WITH A TIMID MOVEMENT. The candles had been replaced, their bright flames casting strange shadows over the walls and the room was warmer than usual. Carlisle had changed back into the sweater than Este had been obsessively holding onto these past two weeks, it hugged him perfectly.

He sat forwards, eyes on his clasped hands, his golden wedding ring. It was only when Este shut the door behind her that he looked up even though he'd been aware for a while that she was making her way down the corridor. The expression was unreadable, his features void of any ruling emotions.

"Can we talk about it?" Este asked, leaning her back against the wooden door.

"I don't want to" Carlisle murmured and Este felt her heart twinge in a painful mannerism.

"Carlisle—"

"Come here" Carlisle stared at her intently. Este pushed away from the door and paced forwards, stopping in front of him as she stared in curiosity. Carlisle reached forwards and took one of her hands in his. It was her left, the two rings she wore proudly glittered like gems in the light. He curled her hand over his, bringing it to his lips. Este watched as he gently kissed each of her knuckles before turning her hand softly and kissing her palm.

"What was that for?" Este whispered.

"Because I love you" Carlisle wrapped his hand around her wrist, running his thumb over the cold skin there.

"You're not mad at me?" Este raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"I could never be mad at you" Carlisle shook his head, "Stella, I just want to know... your intentions for when your mind is fixed"

"Nothing is going to change" Este frowned as she moved and sat over his lap, "things will go back to how they had been, better even. Carlisle with all that's going on in my head the anxiety of needing human blood is just twisting everything, making it worse. It's temporary I promise"

"That's all I needed to know" Carlisle turned and stared at her eyes in a fixated way. Este would never be able to stare at her reflection while her eyes swam in crimson, she could still picture them burning into her head but she met Carlisle's gaze knowing it did not hurt him the same way.

"You know I would never force my way of living onto you" Carlisle continued, "but I also... know that I am not the only reason you hunted the way you did"

"No you're not" Este dragged her fingers softly along his jawline, "as I said, it's not ideal I just... want to appease my mind, I have a feeling it'll be easier to heal that way"

"You know better than most" Carlisle smiled. A frown appeared between his eyes before he reached up his thumb and gently brushed some blood from her lip. Este watched him carefully, the way the blood stood out against his pale skin. He stared at the drop, intricately lying against the curves of his fingerprint.

"Don't make yourself uncomfortable" Este stated softly.

"I'm not" Carlisle's eyes snapped back up as though he had awoken from a daze. He glanced at the blood again before he wiped it against the knee of his trousers and pulled Este closer against his chest, both his arms wrapped around her tight. She relaxed into him as he lay back on the velvet of the sofa and kissed the top of her head. Este ran her fingers up and down his arm a few times, realising how strong the scent of the sweater was now that he was inside it. Este hadn't even noticed how fast he was slipping away from the fabric.

"I love you" Este whispered, "I don't want to sound selfish"

"By saying you love me?" Carlisle sounded amused.