[15] Lace Up

A/N: There's basketball terminology in this chapter! If you don't know what any of it means, I recommend looking it up on Youtube, it's easier to watch than describe :). 

Iris

I lace up my sneakers at the court. I have my old basketball shorts on and a shirt made for the volunteers. I take a swig of water and the kids start coming in. Parents taking photos of them with their basketballs, it reminds me of my youth. My parents were super supportive of my love for basketball, and even though we didn't have a lot of money, they always seemed to find some for me to go to these types of camps. I see Liam walk in with his younger sibling, who's beaming with excitement. I used to look like that. I see all my friends behind him. No way.

"Go Iris!" I hear Lilly cheer and take a deep breath. This is going to be a long day. We start with introductions, names, position, favorite move, all the stuff the kids eat up. I get put with the 10-12 age group, the one Liam's sibling is in. They're struggling to dribble, it's the beginners group for 10-12 so it's understandable, but I can tell they need individual attention.

"Hey, do you mind working with the girls? There's one kid in our group really struggling," I ask the girl I was partnered with.

"Yeah for sure," she smiles, she seems nice enough. I walk over, and pop a squat so I'm at their eye level.

"Hi, I'm Iris, my pronouns are she/her, nice to meet you," I extend my hand and smile. They reach out to shake my hand and drop the basketball, which I pick up laughing.

"Hi! I'm Katherine! My pronouns are they/them." They seem happy I asked.

"Is there another name you'd prefer I call you?" Their eyes light up.

"Kai please!"

"You got it," I smile, fist bumping them. "Want my tips for how to dribble?"

"Yes please! I want to play as good as my brother!"

"That takes some practice, let's start with the basics. When you're dribbling, make a rhythm, up, down, up down. When the ball comes up into your hand, make sure you use your whole hand. For starters, when you're dribbling, bounce with it." Kai listens, and starts bouncing with the ball. I can already notice their control getting better. Coach Campbell calls for a water break and I see Kai run over to their brother, who is excitedly talking to them about dribbling. He looks different, kinder, when he's with children. 

"Hey," I turn around. Team captain of the girl's team, taller than me, much taller than me, standing behind me. "How special are you to get to help without being on the team?"

"Abby, stop," the girl I was partnered with interjects.

"No no, it's a valid question," I say, looking Abby up and down.

"If you're so good, let's see."

"Pardon?" My eyebrow is cocked. Basketball sitting on my hip, I am exuding confidence.

"One-on-one, right now."

"Oh my god," the other girl sighs. "Iris you don't have to-"

"No, no, I think I will," my eyes have not moved from Abby's eyes. The other girl steps off the court, and we decide half court will be best for a one-on-one. "Ladies first," I smile, handing Abby the ball. Her dribble is weak, I can already tell she's the height of the team, her control is low. Getting to my usual low, defensive stance, I watch how she dribbles at the top of the key, knowing she's trying to fake me out. Boring. One arm in, and the ball in mine. She grunts, frustrated. At the top of the key, she's trying to get me back. One crossover, and then keeping the ball in my right hand, her ankles are broken. Rolling off her right, I go in for the layup. "Easy two," I sing, handing her the ball. "Losers ball."