[34] Needed the Most

Liam

CW: Depicts events after a car crash.

It's been a few days, everybody's busy with the beginning of the new semester, so I haven't seen Iris or really anyone in a little bit. As I'm reading from one of my law textbooks, my phone rings.

"Hey Dad."

"Hey Bender! So, your mom had a big test today, and she's recovering. I'm staying here the whole night, could you watch Kai for the night?"

"What time do you want me at the house?"

"7? Gives you some time to pack to maybe stay the night."

"Sure, can Iris come?"

"Why would she need to?"

"Kai really likes her."

"Yeah, so do you."

"Alright dad, enough. I'll be there."

"Iris is more than welcome." I hang up, and shoot a text over to Iris.

Me: "I need to watch Kai tonight, want to join me? Star Wars movie marathon?"

I wait about 20 minutes while I'm packing a bag for Iris' response, to which I get none. This is odd for her, she is a really quick responder.

Me: "Hello?? Earth to Iris?"

Another 10 minutes pass, and concern is rising in me, I have a bad feeling about this. I grab my phone again, dialing her number.

"This is Iris! It's your lucky day, you've reached my voicemail! Leave a message after the beep."

"Iris, I don't know why you're ignoring me, but I'm getting concerned. Text me back, okay sweetheart?"

After another 10 minutes, panic starts rising in me.

Me: "You don't even ignore my texts when you're mad at me, respond Iris. I'm worried. Tell me what's wrong." After 5 minutes, my phone vibrates, and I rush to grab it. I see Lilly's calling.

"Liam?"

"Is something going on with Iris? She won't call me back or respond to my texts."

"Liam-"

"She never ignores me like this so I'm worried something is wrong, have you talked to her? Is she at the house?"

"Liam!" Lilly shouts through the phone, catching my attention. "Take a few deep breaths, and don't freak out."

"What?" I am freaking out.

"Iris was in a car accident." I feel all the color leave my face. I try to speak, but my words get caught in my throat. I feel my eyes get wet. "It was a drunk driver-" I can hear Lilly getting choked up on the other end. I finally find the words.

"Where is she?"

"We're at the hospital on the other side of town, she's in surg-" I hang up and grab my backpack. I drive as fast as possible to the hospital, which is bad considering I'm on my way there because of a car accident. I've never driven this fast before, not when Mom had a seizure on the hospital floor, not when I had to pick Kai up from school except I was 30 minutes late because Dad forgot to tell me. Because this one time, I don't know if she's okay. The thought of a life without Iris is a thought of death, and I've never been more scared. I have tears rolling down my face as I drive, and I finally reach the hospital. I park my car and run inside.

"Iris Cara?" I ask the front desk.

"She's in surgery, but she'll be in room 203, second floor." I take the stairs to the second floor, where I enter the waiting room. Thomas is rubbing Lilly's back, Marcus is tapping his food anxiously, and a woman is in the corner seat, holding Marcus' hand.