[26] Planetarium

Liam

It's been about two weeks since Iris' depressive episode. I proposed the idea the last time we were together to go with Kai to the planetarium. They've been really into astronomy recently. I think it helped Iris get through the week, as she reaccustomed to the ways of everyday life.

Driving to Iris' house, Kai bounces their leg excitedly. I don't know what they're more excited for, the planetarium, or seeing Iris. I text Iris once we pull up, and in a mere minute she's out the door. Always punctual that one. As she leaves the house, I take in what she's wearing, like I'm storing it in a book full of the things that impress me about her. Her sense of fashion being one.

Today, despite the whopping 40 degree weather, she's wearing a plaid miniskirt with a white sweater and a pair of mary janes. How do I know Mary Janes? My mom is big into fashion, and I've seen my fair share of shoes throughout the house, during a time when she thought she could teach me all the names. Mary Janes were the only shoe that stuck.

"Hello," She smiles, climbing into the backseat.

"Hi Iris!" Kai smiles back from the passenger seat. "Excited to see the planets?"

"So excited." She looks at me. "Hey pretty boy."

"Hi sweetheart. Looking very book-ish today."

"You're so weird." Shooting her a wink, I turned my attention to the road, putting the car in drive. Pulling up to the planetarium, I open the door for Kai, Iris getting out from the back behind them.

"Quite a gentleman," she comments as I try to catch up with Kai, who is excitedly running toward the entrance. "Got something to prove?"

"No, I'm a nice guy, nice guys don't have ulterior motives." I see her give a skeptical eye raise, and then catch up with Kai, grabbing their hand as they walk into the planetarium. At first, there's descriptions of planets, stars, galaxies, all the space stuff, before reaching the viewing room. Kai reads everything, absorbing every piece of information, while I just stare at the photos of the planets and pretty things.

"What's your favorite?" Iris asks, seeming to have broken away from Kai, who has indulged in an intellectual conversation with other kids whose parents look relieved to have a break from babysitting their children.

"Not sure," I look around. "The black hole is pretty cool."

She snorts, "You would."

"Hey! What's your favorite?"

"I like the Milky Way," she says proudly.

"Basic," I sing in her ear, before walking away. "Kai, we have to go or we'll miss the show." I grab Kai's hand escorting them into the actual planetarium, Iris on their other side. Kai finds a seat, and the show is so packed Iris and I have to sit next to each other, instead of on each side of Kai since they sat down first and the seats are eat or be eaten to snag. As we sit, Kai fidgets anxiously in their chair.
"Are you excited?" Iris asks Kai from across me. Kai simply nods, before gluing their eyes to the blank ceiling, waiting for the show to start. "Are you excited?" She asks me. "Excited to see the black hole?"

"As a matter of fact, I love a good planetarium show. I'm sure you won't be too thrilled to see the Milky Way, though, since it's so basic it can always be seen."

"Excuse me," an older woman approaches us from our row. "Are these seats taken?" She gestures to the seats next to Iris.

"No ma'am," Iris smiles. The older woman and an older man sit down in the two chairs next to Iris.

"I do love these little shows," she says to us, and I sit forward to engage in the conversation more. My mom taught me that.

"They're lovely," Iris smiles, a new sparkle in her eye, and I catch myself staring into her brown pearls as they sparkle with her smile.