[31] Celebratory Pizza

Liam

After the gym, I shower and get ready for the night. Violet has a big volleyball game, and we're all going to watch. Even if Iris and I are nothing, the friends I've made through her and Marcus are great, and I'll treasure them. I throw on a hoodie and sweatpants, volleyball games don't get a huge crowd, so it's more casual. We meet up with Lilly, Iris, Marcus, and Thomas and grab seats. Iris' hair is down, half pulled back with a scrunchie, and she's wearing a t-shirt, puffy coat, and leggings. Even if she doesn't try to look good, she always does. 

The game starts, sitting next to Jasper and Grayson who somehow don't understand the game, and I spend half the time explaining it to them. A player on the other team spikes the ball at the head of a player next to Violet, who hits the ground. Violet calls a timeout and the medic takes the girl off the court. A few minutes later, it happens again. The team has no more substitutions left, and a third girl gets fully knocked out. Now, our team doesn't have enough players. This is a semi-final game, and our volleyball team has always been really good. I see Violet talk to the referee and jog over to our seats.

"Iris, we need you. I talked to the referee, and they're allowing it for the game. Our team needs this win, please?"

"You want me to play? I don't know any of your plays, how am I supposed to play with a team I don't know?"

"We need a spiker." I see a wide grin stretch across Iris' face. She stands up and jogs to the court, where Violet grabs an extra jersey. On the court, in front of everyone, Iris pulls her shirt off. She's wearing a strappy sports bra, and it takes everything in my power not to look, but I do. It's a plain black bra, but as she throws the jersey on, I see it leaves room for cleavage, and I force myself to look away. It's only visible for a minute before she puts the jersey on, but everything inside me is awake. I see Lilly smirking at me and I roll my eyes. My entire body is electrified. The way she can just jump into something, I respect that so much. The way she looks, getting low, it makes me lose respect for myself, thinking about the things I could do to her. What does this mean? Panic. I'll just roll with it. 

"Full uniform," the referee says, and I see Iris talk to Violet before running into the locker room. A few minutes later, Iris emerges, her hair in a ponytail, the jersey, and a pair of short volleyball shorts. She pulls knee pads on and takes her spot. The team serves, and on the receive, the setter sets it to Iris. She runs, catching air, and flying. The spike is powerful, the entire place goes silent after. The score is tied now. She gets low, ready for the next one. The way she moves, so mysterious yet seductive, it's alluring, and it makes me want to know more about her, even though I feel like I know so much anyway. Another one, the other team is stunned. They start doubling up, picking the tallest girls to guard her side.

Iris notices of course, because she's observant, and changes her course, aiming at the empty spot now that they're double guarding her. The game ends, our team wins, and they hoist Iris in the air.

"Let's go congratulate them!" Marcus cheers, and I see Lilly hang behind to walk with me.

"How are you feeling buddy?"

"I'm," I clear my throat, "fine."

"Still feel nothing?"

"I never said I didn't feel anything-"

"So you do?" She raises an eyebrow.

"I do- I just don't know what I feel. It's all a lot. I haven't felt like this before."

"Well, good luck. Therapy does wonders for that," she says, patting my back before joining the group. I join as well, seeing everyone crowding around Violet, asking if she'll be team captain next year. I can see Iris is tired, and while the group is talking to her, she doesn't want them too. I wave and signal for her to come over, and she excuses herself.