35

Rooster's POV
We walk out of his office and we see young kids walking in and picking out rooms just like we did a month and a half earlier. I say "they really are young" quietly and Jake says "maybe were just old" looking at me and I say "were in our thirties, were not that old, right?" He chuckles saying "you're as old as you think, babe." They're all just talking but they clearly don't know each other and one of them says "I saw this cool bar down the road that seemed to be hopping, we should go there tonight." A guy says "some of us aren't old enough to drink" and as Jake and I walk by I say "Penny will let you in, she just won't give you any alcohol." Jake says "remember being young?" I laugh saying "shut up" putting my aviators on and I say "want to walk?" He says "oh sure" and all those kids essentially follow us like lost puppies. One of the kids say "who are you guys?" I sarcastically say "your worst nightmare" making the kids chuckle and I say "who thinks they're the best?" They all say "me" including Jake and I laugh saying "I know you think you're the best, you don't have to tell me." Jake says "you asked" shrugging and I say "they all have Top Gun mentality. We're all egomaniacs coming out of there." Jake says "you aren't wrong" and a girl says "what are your credentials to be here?" I say "the list is long" chuckling and she says "do you guys graduate Top Gun? Isn't that a criteria to come back cause you aren't in our class." I say "yes, we did. You almost had an ancient dude instead of us." She says "which ancient dude?" I say "you must be a Top Gun history buff, huh?" She nods and says "if it was Maverick, I would've cried." I chuckle saying "sorry to crush your dreams, kid. It would've been him if we didn't get hired like just now." She says "damn" and I chuckle saying "he's always around, I'd be surprised if you didn't meet him in the four months you'll be here." One of the guys say "is Maverick cool?" I say "I mean, I guess. He was my Top Gun instructor and like non related uncle. So, to me he's just a dude but to y'all he's probably a legend." Jake says "I gotta call my mom and let her know we will not be back till later." One of the kids say "hah, your mom!" I laugh saying "you walked into that" and Jake says "I hate you" and I say "I hate you too." He walks behind us and calls his mom and they all 'oooo' like children and I say "guys, stop it" chuckling. They all stop and we walk into the bar and Penny says "back so soon? Where's Hangman?" I say "calling his mom, letting her know well be out late as if we aren't over thirty" and she chuckles. I say "you'll have to ID all the new Top Gun kids, half are under twenty one" and she says "woah, they're young this time around" nodding. One of the younger guys say "you gotta rat us out like that?" I say "one, I work for the government. Two, I'm your everything for the next four weeks. Instead of crying to your mom, you'll be crying to me. So, I gotta say it or I'm just a little fired and the Admiral is scary." I hear Maverick say "stealing my job?" I say "the Admiral told me to tell you that he's happy you're off his ass" and we laugh. Jake chuckles saying "he really did say that" us laughing. Maverick says "that's funny" chuckling and Jake and Penny asks us "what would you guys like?" I say "I'll have whatever he's having" looking at Jake and he says "I'll take whatever you want to give me" and we chuckle. She says "coming right up" chuckling and she gets us some drinks. I say "thanks, Penny" and Jake says "thank you, ma'am." We go just to wander as we do, a few people saying hi to us. Jake rests his hand on my lower back and a couple of the new kids wave us over. We go over to these kids and one of them says "I challenge you to a game of pool" looking at Jake and he says "what's the bet?" The kid says "push ups" and Jake says "how many?" One of the girls say "I was thinking fifty" and Jake says "I was thinking two hundred" and I chuckle saying "I still owe you two hundred" laughing. He says "oh my god, you do!" I chuckle saying "I'll do it with the loser" and the kid says "I've never done two hundred push ups at once before." Jake says "by the end of these four months, you'll be able to." They play and I just chuckle when Jake smokes this kid. Jake says "reminds me of that time I played Bob" making me chuckle and shake my head. I look at Jake saying "you're cute" chuckling and one of the kids say "so, when did y'all graduate Top Gun?" Jake says "three days ago" making me chuckle and I let Jake talk to these guys. I finish my drink and he hands me his empty glass. He says "thank you" and I put our glasses on the bar and I go over to the piano. I sigh, sitting down mumbling "what have I done? Ive never taught anyone how to do anything. Talk to me, dad. I am educated to do it but it's just so new." I just play random things, looking around this place. It feels empty in a way without all our friends here. I noodle for a bit longer then I start playing Great Balls Of Fire, several people gathering around. When I finish, one of the girls say "you're the coolest person I've ever met" and I chuckle saying "I'm cool, you see this?" Jake chuckles saying "yes, I do" shaking his head and I smile at him and I stand up.