Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The taxi leaves at 13:23 and arrives in Port Elizabeth at 18:56, which is a bit late as I am not familiar with the area that I am going to. Before we arrived, I called my mother and informed her that I was close to Port Elizabeth and she mentioned that she had organized Anga's friend to pick me up at Greenacres Mall, where the taxi will drop me off. I hope this friend arrives soon because I do not want to stand alone in unfamiliar territory and risk being robbed and my phone's battery is flat. I arrived at Greenacres Mall and already called my mother to telling her that I had arrived. She informed me that Anga's friend was on the way and that she had given him my numbers... I wonder why she would do that now this boy, which I assume he is, has my numbers. Ai umama. I don't like strangers having my numbers, and I especially don't like, nor appreciate someone giving my numbers to someone before they check in with me, but then again this is my mother that we are talking about here. Which African parent has ever asked for consent from their children? Not uMadlamini (clan name). I stand next to where the meter cabs park and wander my eyes around both directions of the road hoping that one of the cars that are approaching is him; mama said his name is Siyabulela. Almost 20 minutes later of me standing next to these cabs looking like a stuck up b!tch because I keep refusing their services repeatedly saying "hai ndiright bhuti, ndilinde umntu" (I am okay brother, I am waiting for someone) my phone rings and it's a number that I don't recognize

Me: Hello

Him: Hello sisi, ndim uSiyabulela (it's me Siyabulela). Ndisandongena ngoku eGreenacres ndikwelicala lima ibus, uphi wena? (I just arrived at Greenacres, I'm parked by the side where the buses park, where are you?)

Me: I am standing by the side where the cab park. I am wearing a grey tracksuit.

Him: Oh, I know which side you're referring to, let me drive to you. I am driving a blue Polo.

He hangs up soon after and I shift my gaze toward the direction where I saw buses to try and see him, well his car. Soon I see a blue Polo headed my way and collect my bags and walk toward the road so that he can easily see me. When he gets to me, he parks next to the cabs, hits the hazard lights as he is parked on the road, and gets out of the car headed to me, oh odriver bePolo kanene (oh Polo drivers and not obeying the rules of the road). First of all, this person is not a boy but a man, like indoda (a man). Kanti uAnga utshomene nabantu abadala kanje? (Is Anga friends with such grown people?) He does not look like a 24-year-old... more like a 34-year-old. Yho! Anyway, he greets, again, and takes my suitcase and loads it in the boot while he apologizes for taking so long, which he didn't. I mean 15 minutes isn't that bad if you are a patient person? Nothing. We get in the car and drive off almost immediately heading towards a direction I don't know. I keep stealing glances at him to kind of analyze his features, my favorite thing to do. His one hand, which is very veiny, has a firm grip on the steering wheel while the other changes the gears smoothly every now and then. His face is very hard, and he keeps clenching his jaws, his brows are always furrowed as he concentrates on the road and navigates through the traffic. We are silent throughout the trip and the only thing that is emitting sound is the radio that is playing a nice RnB song.

It doesn't take us that long before we arrive at The Bed and Breakfast that mom had booked for the duration of our stay... This reminds me that I need to inform Mr Phakade that I may not make it to work on Monday. Siyabulela drops me off outside the B&B gate after I'd called mom to inform her that we are outside. Mom makes her way out of the guesthouse meeting me halfway as I walk in and she immediately wraps her arms around me engulfing me in a warm hug and starts sobbing, violently.

Mom: Oh Nono, I am so happy that you are finally here.

Me: Don't cry mama. I am here now, all is going to be well, and we will resolve this together.