Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Ja, Nomzamo, you've really done it this time. I should have known that I wasn't going to be able to make it past this door without anyone spotting but I still convinced myself that I'm invisible. How long did I honestly think I was going to be able to hide my relationship from him, especially considering that they are friends? The subtle noise that was there before I got busted has now vanished, completely. I haven't swept my eyes across the room to see who else is present because I'm too scared to see another familiar face. He stares at me, blankly, so much so that I start fidgeting as I feel uncomfortable under his gaze. I have not moved from where I was standing since my entire body has now gone numb. "Sisi, ubekwa yintoni apha?" he asks while staring me dead in the eyes. (Sister, what brings you here) His voice jolts me from my state of paralysis and only then do I sweep my eyes across the room to try and locate this man of mine so that he can save me from this interrogation. I'm shocked to see Thando and Themba sitting on one of the couches. Kanti uAnga utshomene nabo as well? (He's friends with them) "Sisi, ndikubuze umbuzo. Ubekwa yintoni endlini kaSiya?" he asks rather sternly. (Sister, I asked you a question. What brings you to Siya's house) With no words to respond to his question, I frantically search for Siya with my eyes, and I spot him standing on the far right-end of the lounge area with whiskey glasses in his hands, smirking at me. Oh, so he has time to serve his friends alcohol but not save me. Bloody fool. I tear my eyes away from this idiot and turn my gaze back to my brother. "Unjani mntase?" I deflect aimlessly. (How are you my brother) He chuckles bitterly at my lousy attempt,

"Ndiyaphila sisi, unjani wena?" (I'm well my sister, how are you)

"Nam ndiyaphila. Bendicela uthetha nawe in the kitchen?" (I'm fine too. May I please talk to you)

He gets up from the couch and walks towards where I'm standing, but not before he glares at Siya, who holds his glare. "Uhm bhabha," this idiot of mine calls out to me. (Baby) Yho uSiya ne-timing. (No timing) My brother halts in his movement and snaps his head towards Siya and asks through gritted teeth, "Bhabha?" (Baby) His brows are knitted as his eyes bounce in between Siya and I. Instead of clarifying or fixing the mess he just created, this idiot of mine starts brushing the back of his head with his hand while staring at me with begging eyes to save him. Hayi, angakhe alinge kaloku! (No, he must never) "Bra, wabiza usis'wam bhabha? Kanti, what's going on here?" Anga throws these questions all at once at Siya. (Bro, did you just call my sister baby? Actually...)

"Eish Anga mfethu, it's a bit complicated." (My brother)

"Uncomplicate it for me then."

"Eish, mna no Zamo are seeing each other." (Well, Zamo and I)

"What do you mean 'seeing each other'?"

"We're dating Anga! And we've been dating for a while now," Siya kind of snaps at him.

He gasps and turns his head to look at me with incredulity plastered all over his face. I bow my head in shame. And no, I'm not ashamed of my relationship but rather of getting busted and questioned by my sibling, younger sibling at that, in another man's house and not just any man but his friend. "Sisi, is this true?" and with my head still lowered, I bob my head at him. (Sister) I hear footsteps approaching us but too ashamed to lift my head to find out who's walking towards us, I keep my head buried on my chest. The earthy, musky scent that fills my nostrils confirms that it's Siya. He snakes his arm around my waist, "Jonga mfethu, I understand that you may be shocked right now, rightfully so, and that you may also have a lot of questions that you'd like to ask usis'wakho nam but I'd suggest that you have this conversation with your sister in private, but after she's had her breakfast, or kanjani?" (Look my friend... your sister and I... what do you say) My heart leaps in joy. Look at him coming through for his girl. I could just kiss him right now. His protectiveness fuels my confidence and I finally muster the courage to raise my head to look at my brother. Anga just stares at me, blankly without responding to Siya's proposal. "Bhabha, I think it's best that you go back to bed. I'll bring you your breakfast soon, okay?" he whispers against my ear. (Baby) I take a quick glance at my brother before replying to Siya, "Okay." He lowers his hand and sneakily tugs at one of my ass cheeks. Kanene andinxibanga. (Oh yes, I'm not properly dressed,) I turn crimson, and cover my face with my hands, mortified at realisation of how inappropriately dressed I am. Siya chuckles next to me, clearly tickled by my misfortune, not paying any attention to my brother who's still rooted before us. I step away from him and start making my way back to our bedroom. I don't know when I'll be having 'the talk' with my brother since I'm leaving him behind. The first thing I do when I enter our bedroom is to look for underwear to put on because I'm not about to stay in a house filled with testosterone with no draws on. After I'm done, I climb on the bed and make myself comfortable and wait for Siya to bring me my oats. Ndilambe nyani, ingqina isisu sam sigcwele umoya oshushu. (I'm really hungry, my stomach is even full of hot air)