Chapter 29

Chapter 29

"Makuvukwe! Makuvukwe! Kusemini ngoku!" (Wake up! Wake up! It's noon now) That, ladies and gentlemen, is the sound of my mother's voice screaming at us. It's not even 06:30 yet, and she's screaming at us to wake up and help her spring clean. In all honesty, no peace resides in this household. I mean if we weren't here, was she even going to spring clean? Also, who was going to help her do so? I aggressively kick my blankets off me and fix my bed. I was hoping for a quiet and relaxed weekend at home after the few days I had in Port Elizabeth but alas. I walk out of my bedroom and head to the kitchen to prepare my bathing water before the day starts. I'm so exhausted it's not even funny. "Pick up your feet wena," my mom scolds me as I enter the kitchen. (You) I'm startled by her voice as I didn't see her by the cabinets; I thought she was still smothering her grandchild. Anyway, I lift my feet up and greet her with a peck on the cheek even though I'm annoyed at her for waking us up this early, "Morning mama." She offers me her beautiful smile and responds, "Morning Nono, ulele kakuhle?" (Slept well) I nod my head and yawn, "Ewe mama, ndilele kakuhle." (Yes mom, I slept well) She continues doing whatever she is busy while I proceed to prepare for the day ahead. A part of me wants to know what she has in store for us but the other part of me would rather not know as knowing can be daunting and discouraging. As I wait for the water to boil I walk to Inga's room to see Wami before her grandmother snatches her away, again.

I knock once on the door and Inga's voice echoes on the other side, "Come in." I gently push the door open as I don't want to wake Wami up should she be sleeping with her dad. I find both of them cuddled up in bed with Wami resting on her father's chest, her eyes wide open and feasting on her tiny fist. Inga and not feeding the child, ai. "Morning princess," I greet in a chirpy voice. I gently lift her up from her father's chest and start planting kisses on her cheeks. She gives me her gummy smile while touching my face with her drool-filled hand, while the other grabs tightly on my shirt. "So, I'm invisible?" Inga sulks. I roll my eyes at him while shaking my head. He needs to know and understand that from henceforth, he's a nonfactor; Owam is the only individual that we recognise now.  He gets off the bed and puts on a vest and starts fixing his bed. "Morning bhut'wam endimthandayo. Has she had her bottle?" I ask him. (My brother that I love) "Hayi Suka! All you care about is her, why don't you ask her?" (Get out of here) I giggle, "Haibo bhuti subanjalo. You can't possibly be fighting your daughter for our attention." (Wow brother, don't be like that) "I'm not fighting her but wena nomama," he continues to mope. (You and mom) My brother is hilarious, "Okay ke xa usitsho." (If you say so) I walk out of his room with my niece in my hands, leaving her grumpy father behind. I know uMaDlamini will know whether she's eaten or not, after all she's now the new apple of her eye. We enter the kitchen and mom immediately snatches her from my hands. Yazi umama unomona serious! (You know, my mother is seriously jealous) I fold my arms across my chest and huff in annoyance, "Haibo mama umthathela ntoni? I was still holding her!" (Hey mom, why did you take her from me) She rolls her eyes at me, "uWami ayingonopopi Nomzamo," she says dismissively. (She's not a doll) Like I'd said she's a doll. *eyeroll* My mom is so unfair. She blatantly ignores me and shifts her entire focus on her granddaughter; Wami is going to be so spoiled. I make peace with my defeat, though unhappy, I leave the two in peace. I take my bathing water and go get ready for the day. I'm dressed in my lazy outfit; a worn-out t-shirt with leggings. I walk out of my room with the basin I used to bathe to dispose the water that I was bathing in behind the house; it's a rural area thing. Those who know, know. As I walk back to my room with the now empty bathing basin, I bump into Inga who has a smirk plastered all over his face. I wonder undifuna ntoni lo? (What does this one want from me) "I see you also lost her to her favorite person. Now tell me, how does it feel?" he cackles. I purposely bump into him and walk away annoyed. "Mxm". He chortles behind me and that vexes me even further. Bloody fool!