0.25 > THE MIND FLAYER

-APPREHENSION-

-
APPREHENSION
-

THE PLAN WAS finally set up. Gasoline had been poured all over the junkyard, more meat was scattered around, old scraps of metal were boarding up a rusty school bus, which had been deemed the base of their little mission. Now all they had to do was wait.

But that was easier said than done. It was very boring in the bus. Just waiting. There was a thick layer of fog and mist covering the ground outside too. Lucas perched on the roof with his binoculars as lookout while the other four sat inside the bus. Dustin was stood looking out of the window and Max was sat on the floor about a meter away from his feet.

Steve was sat with his back against the wall and his legs stretched out in front of him. Yelena's head was in his lap. She was laid on the floor besides him and couldn't get her head comfy so her solution was to rest it in Steve's lap. She could feel his fingers on one of his hands gently playing with the ends of her hair in the ponytail while his other hand flicked the lighter open and closed out of boredom.

"Yelena?" Max spoke up, unsurely.

"Mhm?" Yelena tipped her head up so she was looking at Max, but upside down. Her head still in Steve's lap.

"Lucas told me that you're, uh, you're an... an ex-assassin from another dimension, o-or universe or whatever." Max said.

"Wow. I'm really making a name for myself." Yelena mumbled.

"He's lying though... right?" Max questioned.

"Unfortunately, he's telling the truth." Yelena sighed. "The Red Room Academy. Trains abandoned girls like me to become the best assassins the world had ever seen. Pretty shit place." She explained, monotony. "They sent me through a gate and I got lost when I was running from a demogorgon and I ended up here but the gate I came through closed, blah blah blah."

"Wait, s-so, you guys really fought one of these things before?" Max asked. Steve nodded and Yelena gave an 'mhm' in response. "And you're, like, totally, 100% sure it wasn't a bear?" Max asked another question but before Steve or Yelena could reply, Dustin spoke up.

"Shit, don't be an idiot, okay? It wasn't a bear." He snapped. "Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home."

Steve looked down onto his lap at Yelena, who was already looking at him. The two of them exchanged the 'oh dear' glance as Max got up and began walking to the ladder that lead on top of the bus.

"Yeesh. Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" Max scoffed and disappeared onto the top of the bus where Lucas was.

"That's good. Just show her you don't care." Steve grinned at Dustin.

"I don't." Dustin frowned and Steve winked at him. "Why are you winking, Steve?"

"Why are you winking, Harrington?" Yelena giggled, looking up at him.

"What, you don't like it?" Steve chuckled, looking down at Yelena and winking again.

"Not from this angle." Yelena laughed.

"Wow, I am thoroughly offended, Belova." Steve teased but Yelena still laughed.

Steve placed the lighter down besides him and took the whole of Yelena's ponytail into his hands. He separated it into three sections, ignoring the questioning expression on Yelena's face.

"Harrington, what're you doing to my hair?" She asked, tilting her head a little, only to be stopped by Steve.

"Don't move. I'm trying to figure out how to braid." He said, his face full of concentration.

"Oh, okay." Yelena chuckled, quite enjoying the feeling. Hence why she hadn't stopped him from playing with the ends of her hair earlier.

"Are you kidding me?" Dustin sighed. "We are waiting for a demogorgon to come and attack us and what does Steve Harrington do? Does he practice fighting? No. Does he help keep watch? No. He braids an ex-assassins hair."

"I'm bored!" Steve exclaimed. Just then, there was a loud screech outside that scared everyone onto their feet in an instant.

"Shouldn't be bored for too much longer." Yelena said. They all scrambled to the window to take a look but the fog near the ground was too thick.

"You see him?" Dustin asked.

"No." Steve replied.

"Lucas, you see him?!" Dustin called up to Lucas.

"Hold on!" Lucas called back down. There was moment of silence before he spoke up again. "I've got eyes! Ten o'clock! T-ten o'clock!"

"There." Yelena whispered and pointed Steve and Dustin's gaze in the right direction.

"What's he doing?" Dustin asked.

"I don't know." Yelena answered.

"He's not taking the bait. Why is he not taking the bait?" Steve questioned aloud.

"Maybe he's not hungry." Dustin suggested.

"Or maybe he's sick of cow." Steve said and turned away from the window.

"Steve, what're you doing?" Yelena asked.

"Exerting the dominance. Showing that baby demogorgon who's boss." He smirked down at her, picking up his bat before handing the lighter to Yelena, who chuckled and shook her head at his words.

"I don't know why your giving this to me. If you're going out, I'm going out." Yelena said, tossing the lighter to Dustin and picking up a crow bar from off the floor that they had previously used to help them board up the school bus they're in.

"Why, you worried I might get hurt, Belova?" Steve taunted.

"No, I-I'm... I'm bored." Yelena used his words from earlier.

"Great. One braids hair when he's bored and the other fights baby demogorgons. Perfect duo." Dustin sighed, shaking his head.

"Just be ready, Henderson." Steve said and him and Yelena slowly exited the school bus.

"How come you get the cool weapon?" Yelena asked in a hushed tone.

"Because I got Jonathan Byers' bedside lamp last time." Steve said just as a low growling noise was heard from opposite them.

"Ready, Harrington?" Yelena questioned.

"Ready, Belova." Steve replied and swung his bat around a little. "Come on, buddy." He attempted to lure Dart over, who was slowly emerging from the fog. "Come on. Dinner time. Human tastes better than cat, I promise." He said.

"They're insane." Max gasped from inside the bus.

"They're awesome." Dustin grinned. Mom and Dad protecting the pack.