0.11 > THE BATHTUB

-VERACITY-

-
VERACITY
-

IT WAS PRETTY dark by the time Yelena arrived at the Byers' household. She dropped her bike on the front yard by Hopper's car - that's how she knew he was already there - and paced up to the door. Someone inside must have heard her drop her bike because the door swung open before she could even knock, revealing Hopper. He immediately pulled her into a hug, surprising Yelena a bit.

"I was worried, kid." He said and Yelena let out a breath and hugged him back. It was the first fatherly embrace she'd had in a very long time.

"I'm okay." She told him. "Didn't even get to fight the monster."

"I think you've been in enough fights recently." Hopper chuckled.

"Okay, I wasn't even the one in the fight today. I broke it up. I was the peacekeeper." Yelena defended.

"Alright, alright, kid. Come in, we've got a lot to explain." He gestured her inside, shutting the door behind her.

Joyce, Jonathan and Nancy were all sat on the couch while Dustin, Lucas, Mike and Eleven kneeled on the floor opposite them to explain the Upside Down with the example that Mr Clarke had shown them - the flea and the acrobat. All of their attention was on Yelena as she walked towards them with Hopper.

"... hi." Yelena gulped at all seven pairs of eyes staring at her - only three of them familiar.

"I'm Dustin." The curly haired boy grinned and stood up, holding his hand out for her to shake.

"Yelena." Yelena replied, shaking his hand. He seemed like a sweet boy.

"Yelena, that's my brother, Mike." Nancy said, pointing to the guy with dark hair. "And those are his friends, Lucas, Dustin and... Eleven." She added. Yelena's eyes lingered on the strange girl sat on the floor with buzzed hair and a dirty pink dress on with a blue jacket. Eleven. What a strange name.

"It's... nice to meet you all?" Yelena said, but it came out as more of a question. She had no idea how to act in these circumstances.

"I think you're gonna wanna hear this explanation, Yelena." Hopper said to her, breaking the awkwardness and sitting in the arm chair.

"What's going on?" Yelena asked, particularly eying Nancy and Jonathan since they were the last people in the group that she was with where she actually knew what was happening. Everything had been a blur since she was with Steve in town. Ah, Steve.

"Okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat." Mike began, holding up a piece of paper with a line drawn halfway across it and a badly drawn acrobat standing on the line besides a flea. "Will and Barbara, and that monster, they're this flea. And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding." He explained, pointing to the half of the page where the flea was drawn. "Mr Clarke said that the only way to get there is through a rip in time and space." He said and realisation then hit Yelena like a truck. She glanced at Hopper, who was already looking at her with a knowing expression on his face.