Morning - Joel Miller

Joel Miller x Reader

summary: Waking up in Joel Miller's arms.

rating: Teen (Soft!Joel Miller, established relationship, morning cuddles, kissing, mentions of the post-apocalyptic world, mentions of sex, honestly this is just sweet fluff with introspection)

word count: 500

You awoke in a warm embrace, arms wrapped around your torso, your head on a bare chest, hearing the rhythmic thud of a heartbeat under your ear, feeling the rise and fall of even breaths

You awoke in a warm embrace, arms wrapped around your torso, your head on a bare chest, hearing the rhythmic thud of a heartbeat under your ear, feeling the rise and fall of even breaths. It was cozy, nestled under blankets, with soft morning light filtering through the windows.

In this sleepy cocoon, nothing else mattered—the world was perfect, there were no worries, everything was fine, it was just you and Joel waking up together like any other couple, in the house you called home. Your mind wandered to how you wanted to stay in bed with him, how you knew when he woke he'd kiss you first thing, how that kiss could turn into more kisses, and how the kisses could turn into soft, languid morning sex, where the two of you got lost in each other and fell apart together.

The shrill ringing of the alarm cut through your fantasy, a rumbling groan emitting from the man you were lying on, his arms tightening around you for a second, before a hand was coming up to softly tilt your chin so he could press his lips against yours in a gentle kiss, then that hand was moving towards the bedside table to shut the clock off, the arm returning to wrap back around you to hold you against him.

"Good Mornin', baby," he mumbled in a deep, raspy tone, kissing the top of your head.

"Morning," you replied, voice rough with sleep. "It's a crime that we have to get out of this bed."

He chuckled.

You started to move to get up, but he pulled you closer to him.

"Not yet, baby," he rasped. "I don't want you to go yet—let me hold you for a minute longer."

You felt yourself melt, knowing he just wanted to linger in this softness and warmth, in the two of you being together.

You wondered if he imagined the perfect morning in that perfect world. You thought he might from the way he let out a content sigh.

You didn't live in that perfect world, though.

Instead of lazy mornings, it was patrolling the outskirts of Jackson and keeping the town safe.

It was keeping each other and the townspeople alive.

It was surviving.

This wasn't a world that allowed softness because being soft got you killed.

But at this moment, in the arms of the man you loved, you would bask in it.

"Make it five more," you said. "Tommy can wait five minutes."

Joel huffed out an amused breath, hand moving to tilt your head up so he could look at you, his face illuminated in the soft glow from the light streaming through the curtains, a lazy smile on his lips, hair sleep tousled, and tired eyes.

"Let's round up to twenty," he said and leaned in to kiss you tenderly.

"You're going to hold me for twenty minutes?" You murmured against his lips.

"I'm gonna do more than just hold you."