Chapter 38

You look at Joe and he gives you a little nod. You can tell he is upset by the look in his eyes, but he is trying his best to hide it. You stand up and walk over to a chair that is off to the side of where he is. A different staff member walks over to the table and sits next to him, smiling and blushing at your fiancé. You can't help but roll your eyes. The fans start lining up and Joe greets them lovingly. "Can I have a hug?!" A woman asks and Joe stands up and says "yeah!" You are in awe of the beautiful gifts the fans bring him. Joe puts his hands to his heart when he sees a handmade book. You smile when a woman gifts him a handmade shirt. Although the event has been chaotic, seeing how loved Joe is makes it all worth it.

A couple hours later the signings are done and day one at the con is over. You get into the car and just sit quietly for a couple seconds. "That was...interesting", you say to Joe as he starts the car. "It was so unorganized. Totally overwhelming. Meeting the fans was incredible. But I hope tomorrow is better". You reach for Joe's hand and interlock your fingers with his, rubbing your thumb on his hand gently as he drives. "It was total bullshit, babe. The way the staff treated you?!" Joe turns his head and looks at you briefly. "Me? What about you?! I will not allow them to speak to you like that tomorrow. Or we will leave." You sigh and focus on the road ahead. "Clearly we need to have to have a little chat with whoever's in charge tomorrow".

The second you get back to your apartment you change into more comfortable clothes. You decide to wear one of Joe's t-shirts and a pair of pajama shorts. Joe is sitting on the couch talking on the phone when you head back into the living room. "Who's that?" You mouth to him and he replies, "mum". You grab a blanket and sit next to him, adjusting until your comfortable. "Yeah, mum, it was a bit of a mess today. The fans? Oh, they were lovely. It was the staff that weren't so great. Tomorrow I have more photo ops and autographs, but I am also doing a Q and A. Thanks, mum, I'll let you know how it goes. Love you too, bye". Joe ends the call, takes a deep breath, and looks at you. "Can we have a chill night? I'm exhausted". You smile because you were already planning on it. You pull the blanket down briefly to show him you're comfy outfit. "As you can see I was hoping you'd say that".

Joe giggles and leans over for a kiss. "I'm going to change and then let's order in, shall we?" You nod your head and grab your phone to start looking for restaurants. When Joe returns, your heart skips a beat. Those damn gray sweatpants. They show off...everything. He can pull off any look, even if it's just a plain white tee and sweats. "Okay, love. Any ideas for dinner?" He sits next to you and you sit up a little so he can put his arm around you. You take a couple minutes discussing what sounds good until you both agree on a place. "Okay, I just placed the order. It should be here within thirty minutes." You look at Joe an his eyes are closed but he still nods his head, letting you know he's listening. You just take him in as he sits quietly. He looks so beautiful but you can tell he's tired. "How about after dinner we get in bed and call it a day?" Your suggestion makes him smile. "That sounds lovely".

You spend the next thirty minutes cuddling on the couch, talking about random things, giggling, and giving each other sweet kisses. Suddenly the doorbell rings. "I'll get it", you say as you head for the door. You pay the delivery man and walk towards the kitchen. "How about I make your plate, babe?" You look over at Joe all sprawled out on the couch and he smiles as he rubs his eyes. "Thank you, love." Once you fix both plates, you walk over to the couch and set them on the coffee table. Joe sits up and you sit next to him. "Can I put on an episode of Succession?" You laugh and nod your head, chewing your food. Once you swallow, you say "you don't have to ask, babe. Go for it." You both finish eating your dinner and while Joe is still watching tv, you grab the plates and stand up. The second you stand up from the couch Joe lays down. As you walk to the sink, you say, "once I'm done cleaning up, I'm getting ready for bed". Joe doesn't answer but you start washing the plates.