14) The Trophy Room

I went back to the common room, while Harry rushed off to the Great Hall to tell Ron. I was frankly, really behind on homework.
It was one thing to get lost and miss class, and another to not understand anything and fall behind. Even Neville, with all his time in the hospital wing, had managed to get up to speed.

Hermione had promised me that she'd help me by pulling an all-nighter.

After dinner, we spread out our parchments, and textbooks, and borrowed library books in front of the fireplace. I had finished with my History of Magic essay and had practiced some Charms wandwork with Hermione when we heard Ron and Harry tiptoeing at half-past eleven.

"You!" Ron glared at Hermione, and then saw me, "What are both of you doing here?"

"Where are you both going?" I questioned Harry, my wand still in my hand.

"Yes Harry," Hermione added forcefully, "Where are you going?"

"Look Bells," Harry said hurriedly, "Malfoy challenged me to a duel and we're to meet in the trophy room."

I considered this and before Hermione could get into one of her reprimanding speeches I said, "Well, let's go. Can't miss a chance to get back at Blondie."

Hermione's jaw dropped. She thought that a girl who sits up at night to complete homework couldn't endorse rule-breaking!

Ron grinned, "Knew you'd be fun!"

"Bells!" Hermione hissed, following us out of the portrait hole, "You all will get into trouble if you're caught-"

"-Hermione?" Neville's voice echoed near the stairs, "Bells? Harry? Oh thank god, it's you... I've been-"

"-We're already late!" Ron spoke rather loudly, "So, Hermione, Neville do go."

Hermione and Neville, however, couldn't go back because the Fat Lady had gone out of the portrait and had to accompany us to the trophy room. We almost bumped into Mrs. Norris, but took a quick turn and entered the trophy room.

"It could very well be a trap, you know..." Hermione whispered as we crouched looking for Blondie.

I heard a wheezing noise from the corner that sounded suspiciously like Filch, and before I could raise the alarm, he loomed before me.
I blinked in terror. The others had scuffled away.

"Out of Bed!" He cackled, "And he said there's more... Follow me..." Filch vanished behind a suit of armor.

After a moment's hesitation, my heart thumping, I followed him.

***