Chapter 18

"Bobby, please listen to me!" I yelled as he picked up Ness and carried him to the car.

"We can talk about this!"

He shook his head no and got in the driver's side.

"Bye, Mama!" Lucas yelled and waved to me.

He didn't even seem sad.

"Please, Bobby." I ran up to the window and tears poured out of my eyes. "Please give me a chance to talk."

He ignored me, backing out of our driveway as if I wasn't even there.

I watched through blurry vision as he turned onto the road and a semi truck came around the corner and collided with the vehicle.

"Christina, wake up!" It was Bobby's voice.

"Hm?" I asked, opening my eyes.

"Are you okay?"

"What time is it?"

"Honey, are you all right?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said. "I think. What time is it? What's going on?"

"It's three in the morning. I woke up because you were yelling something and you had tears streaming down your face," he explained.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said, wiping my face and feeling tears.

"What happened?" he asked. He didn't even need to ask if it was a nightmare.

"You were leaving," I said. "You were mad at me, and you were leaving with the boys. I was yelling, trying to tell you we could work this out. You were ignoring me. You were leaving."

"It's okay, baby, I'm right here," he said and pulled me closer to him.

"But as you were leaving," tears started slipping down my cheeks again, "a semi came. You guys were in a head-on collision. You and the boys. All because you were mad at me."

"Hey, it's fine," he said, wiping away some of my tears with his thumb. "It's over."

"You're not gonna leave, right? You won't leave me," I said.

"Never," he said and kissed the top of my head.

I shut my eyes and tried to sleep again. I turned over so Bobby could hold me like he normally did.

Every time I shut my eyes I saw the semi running into the vehicle Bobby, Lucas, and Ness were in. I thought Bobby was asleep behind me, but I felt like I needed to check on the boys.

I started moving out of Bobby's arms and I found out he wasn't asleep.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"I can't sleep," I said. "I have to check on the boys."

"Christina, you could wake them. Trust me, they're perfectly fine," he said. "You need to sleep."

"I need to check on them," I said.

"Honey..."

"Stop. I just need to check," I said and pried at his fingers.

He didn't hold me, just let me get up.

"You're coming back right after you check on them, right?"

I nodded and walked into the hallway, directly to Ness's room. He was in a deep sleep, perfectly fine, and completely at peace. I sighed with relief and made my way downstairs to Lucas.

He was in a deep sleep, too. I just gazed at him for a while until I felt hands at my waist.

I almost screamed before I realized it could only be Bobby.