Chapter 52

After three award shows, two magazine interviews, a music video, and about forty five recording sessions, our summer was coming to an end.

Zelda was getting big, and Bobby and I were ready for our bedroom to be just ours again. Before Lucas started preschool, we wanted to get Ness and Zelda situated in their new rooms.

I made a deal with Lauren and Sarah that if they could get work off, I'd fly them out to California for three days and back again. I needed them in the house for these first few days having both boys downstairs.

They arrived at our house in the middle of the afternoon, so Zelda and Ness were both napping. Not surprisingly, they were both napping in rooms that they would not be in tonight.

"Sooo..." I said to them as Bobby sat on the floor, playing with Lucas. "You think you're prepared for tonight?"

They exchanged a glance.

"We should be," Sarah replied, turning back to me.

"Just be ready for lots of tears," I said. "And hearing various people going up and down the stairs. It's not Zelda I'm worried about. It's Ness."

They nodded.

***

As bedtime neared, we brought up the "big boy bed" to Ness many times. That was another thing that would change. He'd switch from a crib to a bed, and Zelda would get the crib that had started as Lucas's.

Ness didn't seem fazed by what we were saying. He almost acted as if he didn't know what we meant, or like it was a joke.

But once bedtime rolled around, and we brought Ness downstairs, he seemed to get what we'd been saying.

Immediately, tears resulted. I was sure that Lauren, Sarah, Lucas, and Zelda (who might've been asleep) could hear him upstairs.

"I no wanna seep downstairs!" Ness said through his cries.

"Ness, baby Zelda needs a room. And this one is for only you," I said softly.

"I no wanna seep downstairs!" He repeated.

"Come here," Bobby said, putting his hand out for Ness.

He continued crying loudly, but took Bobby's hand and walked over to him.

Bobby whispered something in his ear, and his crying got softer, but he continued crying nonetheless.

"Mama," he cried, turning to me. As much as I wanted to just say, "OK, you can sleep in your room tonight," because of how heart-wrenching his crying and saying, "Mama," was, I knew that I couldn't.

"Mama!" He repeated, louder.

"What, honey?"

"I no wanna seep downstairs," he said again.

"Ness, don't you wanna be a big boy?" I asked. "Don't you wanna sleep here like Lucas does? And Auntie Lauren and Auntie Sarah will be down here tonight, too."

That helped enough to get him in bed. He didn't want to sleep, and told us that he wouldn't, but he was sound asleep when we came down to check on him an hour later.

Zelda was easy. She was fast asleep by the time we got upstairs, and we just put her in the crib that was once Ness's. I turned on the baby monitor and brought one into the living room, turning on the one in our bedroom, too.

Lucas was easy too, but that was mostly because he'd been sleeping there for more than two years now. I was just nervous for the whole "preschool" thing.

***

Preschool was upon us in a matter of weeks once Ness and Zelda had been moved to new rooms.

As I got up early enough to get Lucas to school by 8:00, I was reminded of my time in school. Getting up early got old quickly, but it was where I made friends and had some of the most character-building experiences ever.

Lucas didn't really know what was going on. He just knew that he'd have a teacher and he'd be away from us all day.

Luckily, it was preschool, so he only had it on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It was still all day, though, and that was the difficult part for me.

Before I knew it, we were all in the car, on our way to a school for Lucas. It seemed like just a month ago he was taking his first steps, and now my baby was going off to preschool.

We made our way into the building, Bobby holding Ness in one arm and Lucas's hand with the other, me holding his other hand and Zelda in my other arm.

He met his teacher again, and seemed excited about today. Until we told him we were leaving.

He ran up and hugged my legs.

"Stay here, Mama," he said.

"I can't, honey, but I'll pick you up tonight. It won't be long," I said.

He hugged at Bobby's legs, too. "Come with me," he said.

"Sorry, little man, preschool is just for you," Bobby replied.

Eventually, Lucas was lured away by the new toys, and we left without a sound.

It wasn't until we made it home that I finally broke down. Bobby was feeding Zelda, and Ness was coloring in the living room.

A few tears slid down my cheeks as I thought about Lucas. He was my baby, and he was off at school.

"What's wrong, baby?" Bobby asked as he sat next to me, putting his arm around me.

"My baby's growing up," I said into his shirt.

He played with my hair. "That's how it works."

"Next thing you know, Ness'll be in college, Zelda graduating high school, and Lucas... he'll be married," I said softly, looking at the baby in the swinging chair and my toddler coloring in front of me.

"At least they'll be happy, right?" Bobby asked. "No matter what, they're still our babies. We'll always be there parents. Even if they're married and having kids, or graduating, or if they're moving away. They'll still be our babies. This won't change anything."

He pulled me tighter against him and I nodded.

"They'll always be my babies."

"They'll always be our babies," he corrected.

"Right. And you'll always be my prince," I said.

"There's no way someone else could be my princess," he said softly.

I looked up at him for a moment and then kissed him.

"No matter what, we'll get our fairytale ending."

"No matter what, we'll get our fairytale ending," he repeated.

THE END