Chapter 31

"Don't be nervous," Bobby said, reaching for my hand.

"I'm not," I said and wiped my hands on my pants.

"Baby, you've rehearsed what you'll be asked and how to answer. He will be put away. I promise."

"But I haven't rehearsed what the defense is going to ask me. And what if I'm the reason he doesn't get put away?"

"Christina-"

"I don't want to talk about it," I interrupted.

"Fine," he said, reaching for my hand again. "Why do you move whenever I try to hang on to your hand?"

"What? I'm not doing that," I said, obviously lying.

"Are you mad at me?" he asked.

"No, I'm not mad at you," I said with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

"You sound like it," he muttered.

"I'm just really nervous, OK?" I said, contradicting what I'd said earlier. "I don't know if I'm ready to face him again."

Bobby pulled in to the courthouse's parking lot. It wasn't until he wiped a tear away from my eye that I realized I was crying. It was actually just one tear, so it didn't count as crying, but he still wiped it away.

"Don't let him get to you," he said. "Show him that he didn't affect you at all."

He was practically the voice in my head, just a lot more confident, and I could see him.

I nodded.

"Also don't be nervous. You're Christina Grimmie, you got this," he said and smiled at me.

I smiled back at him and he kissed my cheek. I checked my make-up in the mirror (because of that tear), and we were on our way into the courthouse.

***

"Please state your name for the record," the attorney said.

Just as practiced, I said, "Christina Grimmie."

"Christina, is it true that on March fifth you were abducted?"

"Yes," I answered.

"Can you please tell us what happened?"

I hadn't looked at Sean yet because they told me not to unless I felt completely comfortable. Plus I felt like he would mess me up. Yet a part of me wanted to look at him again for the first time in a few weeks.

But I focused on answering the questions.

"I went out to get diapers. It was about nine o'clock p.m., and I had gotten out of my vehicle and was walking into the store when I was stopped by someone putting their hand over my mouth and dragging me with them to the side of the store," I explained.

"Do you know your abductor by seeing their face?"

"Yes."

"Do you see them in this courthouse?"

"Yes," I answered and glanced at Sean, not meeting his eyes.

"After you were abducted, were you taken somewhere?"

"Yes. I was taken in the back of a car to what I assume was someone's house. My mouth was duct taped shut and I was put in a small room."

"How long were you in this room?"

"One night."

The questions went on, making me relive that whole experience all the way through when I was saved.