Chapter 47

After the kids had seen Sarah, my mom and brother took them somewhere to occupy them. Bobby ended up tagging along, knowing that Sarah and I needed to talk alone.

"So," I said with a sigh,"did he, like..."

"No," Sarah said. "He didn't touch me. He made me watch him touch other people, but no."

I felt a great weight lifted off my shoulders.

"I believe I had an overly similar experience to yours," Sarah said. "I was too scared to make a noise. And he was en route to get to you. Said he was waiting on me until he could... do it in front of you. He said," she paused, wiping away a few tears.

"It's OK, Sarah," I said softly. "We don't have to talk about it."

"Actually, we do," she said. "We're the only ones that have lived through his cruelty. We have to talk about it with someone. And I think that we're the ones that should be talking to each other. Not only are we best friends, but we're the only ones that have actually been through what the other has. We can actually understand the other's pain, the other's fear."

"How many days was it?" I whispered.

"Four," she replied. "Four miserable days. But they could've been much worse. He told me he was going to find Lauren, too. That was his original plan. But I assume because they were already looking for him he was rushed. Plus he couldn't seem to get to her. So we went on our little adventure alone."

I sighed, realizing Bobby was right. I was going to be miserable after this visit. Thinking about Sean gave me a weird feeling in my stomach, and I suddenly felt guilty for Sarah's disappearance.

"You OK, Christina?" Sarah asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah," I said. "It's just... I'm really sorry, Sarah."

"What? Why?"

"If it weren't for me, Sean wouldn't have ever targeted you. You wouldn't have been scared half to death and you wouldn't have had to see the horrible things that you had to see. I'm sorry that I'm the reason this happened to you," I said.

"Christina, don't be sorry," she said. "You're not the reason for any of this."

"Yes I am," I said, wiping the one hot tear that started rolling down my cheek.

"No," she said. "You are not the reason for any of this. You wanna know what you are the reason for?"

I looked at her in answer.

"You are the reason Sean was put in prison in the first place. You are the reason people know more about people like him and will take more caution. You are the reason Zelda is still alive. You are the reason that baby, Rachel's baby, is still alive. You are the reason that so many people that have been through assault and abuse and kidnapping and attempted murder get up in the morning and still leave their house."

"No I'm not," I mumbled.

"Yes you are," she said.

The confidence in her voice made me feel much better. It almost made me believe it.

I nodded. "Well, you're still probably catching up on sleep. Can we meet again tomorrow? The boys and Bobby and everyone?"

She nodded. "I'd love that."

I smiled at her, giving her a hug. "I love you, Sarah. I'm so glad you're here."

"I love you too, Christina. It's a blessing to be your friend," she replied.

I was probably blushing as I walked out of her house and to the vehicle. It was an almost full van, with one of my security guards driving. Bobby was on the passenger side in the back. I sat on the other side, and the three kids were in their carseats in the back. Mark and my mom must've taken a different vehicle from wherever they were with the kids.