Arc 1 Part 4

(Many kilometers east of Oolu Village.)

Conrad Wiking and his squad had been given a new posting. Eversince the frontlines have been made, the 87th has been committed to the fight. Many soldiers still ask why exactly they were doing this, but most accepted that this course of action was justified - After all, the Archedians were the aggressors in this case and it was only right that the 87th take action, even if they knew Berlin wouldn't be able to talk to them for many more months to come. Still, the initial Kovenant Artillery strikes, scouting missions and probing attacks proved successful in ensuring that the Archedians would think twice before attacking. It makes for a good show of force while only using a fraction of the resources otherwise needed for an Assault.

Conrad and his entire squad was stationed along a trenchline complete with Concrete dugouts meant to shelter men from Artillery strikes and act as their sleeping quarters.

The Trenchline was located atop an ridge line, atop an elevated piece of land; a hill that overlooks a frozen river separating Eastern Keralia from Partisan and Kovenant controlled South-western and northern Keralia; the Great Fuscene River.

The Great Fuscene River runs from mountains to the north all the way to the southern coast, with multiple tributaries linking up and adding their own water to the river.

Conrad and his men, as well as the whole of the 87th was told of its significance many times by the locals.

The Fuscene river was considered the natural border between south-western and Eastern Keralia. A natural bulwark to mount a formidable defence. During the many wars fought between the Archedians and Keralians, the Fuscene lake region has always been the place where the heaviest fighting happened and where the Archedians found consistent difficulty breaking through.

In addition, the great river proved good for transportation during the summer, allowing ships to sail from cities in Keralia to use it when not frozen.

As such, it was absolutely vital that the Kovenant have a hold on this region and because of that, Kovenant forces have built a huge defensive line running across the river. Before cutting north west until the Kovenant lines reach the Arctic ocean.

Conrad Wiking and his squad, as well as the entirety of 3rd Platoon was stationed to defend a place known as the junction. A place where the tributaries of the river meet.

 A place where the tributaries of the river meet