Hush Little Baby, Don't You Cry

You weren't entirely sure what the error message in front of you was meant to say. Something about the person you were trying to contact not existing anymore...? The font was practically unreadable, and no matter how hard you squinted, it didn't get any easier to read.

You were trying to respond to the message Jack had sent you while you were out at the museum filling in for Bobbie while he was out at a funeral. It was your first time helping to arrange a display for the local prep school's field trip, so in your excitement, you left your phone in the car. You only checked it once you were parked outside your house, and you were starting to regret not checking it earlier, since there was also about nine different messages from Greg about Jack going missing.

greg:

Have you spoken to Jack recently?

We had a fight a few days ago, and he hasn't spoken to me since.

He left really abruptly this morning, and I can't get a hold of him.

I'm really worried about him.

If he's with you, please tell me.

Call me when you can alright?

(Y/N), I know you're busy, but I think this is serious.

I heard about the accusations from your partner at the party—about the murder, cannibalism, and the stalking. Gia, your coworker, told me about it.

I think Jack's in trouble, and I need your help to find him. He isn't in custody, so who knows where he's gone.

The messages were, needless to say, enough to send you into a blind panic. With trembling fingers, you managed to press the button to call Greg, who picked up nearly instantly.

'What do you mean Jack's missing?' you demanded.

He sounded as stressed as you felt—exhausted and unnerved. 'I can't find him. We have each others locations shared on our phones, and his phone is nowhere. It's like it doesn't exist. There's some weird error message that keeps coming up but I can't actually read it.'

'Can you send me a screenshot? I think I know which error message you're on about. I've been trying to respond to a message, but I get a weird error too.'

'Did he message you? What did he say?'

'He was asking where I was.' If only I'd had my phone with me. Maybe this wouldn't be happening. 'I left my phone in the car so I didn't see it until like, five minutes ago.'

'He didn't mention that he was going somewhere?'

'Nope.'

'Damnit.'

Something flashed in your wing mirror, and the back of your neck tingled like it was being stared at. It was easy to recognise such an oppressive, otherworldly gaze, and all of your nerves picked 'flight' despite common sense reminding them that you had asked for this.

Your voice shook on its own accord as you said, 'Hey, Greg? I'm gonna go. I'll have a look around the forest to make sure he isn't lost.'

'Sounds good. I'll drive around and see if I can find anything. See you.'

You didn't respond to his farewell, hanging up and getting out of the car, not looking the seven foot tall monster that loomed a few feet away.

'You're late,' you managed to say. 

'I am not at your beck and call. I have my own things to do, and a daughter to look for. What do you want?'

'Your...daughter's missing?' you repeated. 'You have a daughter?'