The Good, The Bad, And The Okay (I Guess)

The journey down to Socks' flat was one you had taken dozens of times, yet the lines of traffic seemed to be endless and the one turning that you were looking for never came. Were you even progressing, or were you stuck in a pocket dimension that looped around and around until you wasted away to a pile of bones in your seat?

'You know, it's a miracle that some people ever passed their driving test,' you said as a particularly idiotic driver tried to switch lanes two cars before the roundabout. 'Some of the decisions that they make are astounding.'

'I could have driven you there.'

'You won't be driving anywhere for a while—not with your leg.'

'There's nothing wrong with it.'

You raised an eyebrow, glancing down at your phone. 'Mhm. So it just needs stitches for no reason then?'

'Yep,' he said. 'Stitches? No idea why they're there. A complete mystery.'

'How is it, by the way?'

'My leg?'

'No, your shoulders,' you said with a teasing laugh. 'Of course I mean your leg. Do I need to get anything from the shops? Bandages? Painkillers?'

'(Y/N), love, we have enough. I'll be fine. Although...' The smile in his voice was worryingly endearing. 'If you came back and let me give you another kiss, then I don't think my leg will be an issue. And if I get a hug as well? I think all my injuries will magically disappear.'

If you were a cartoon character, your eyebrow would have floated off your face (which would have exploded from the warmth rushing through it). 'You just want me to come home and give you attention.'

'Don't know what you mean,' he said. 'Me? Want attention?'

'Yes, you. Don't worry, when I get back you've got me all to yourself for the rest of the day.' You paused, a thought suddenly entering your head. 'We aren't moving too fast, are we?'

'Too fast? What do you mean?'

'Like, with us. I don't wanna rush things and get caught up in—'

'(Y/N).' Jack's voice was stern, yet held a gentle, comforting understanding that made your breath catch in your throat. 'We can go as fast or as slow as you want, cause I don't mind either way. There's no time frame for these things, and that's okay. Besides, you did inadvertently say that you love me this morning, so there aren't that many 'milestones' left to cross...unless you fancy a January wedding?'

'Why do you have to be such a sweet-talker?'

He chuckled and said, 'That wasn't sweet-talking, but the compliment is appreciate. I can show you what real sweet-talking looks like, if you want?'

'No, I'm alright, thank you,' you said hurriedly, reduced to a mere squeaking mess at his forwardness. 'Hey, look, here's the turning. Thank God. Looks like I'll have to hang up soon.'

'Oh, you're leaving me?'

'Temporarily. I'll message you when I leave, alright? I won't be long.'

'Good. Remember that...it wasn't really their fault. It was Chernabog's.'

The car came to a halt as you parked it in one of the few available parking spaces, a street away from Socks' house. 'I know, I know, I'll keep that in mind. I'm gonna go—organise my thoughts while I walk down.'