Ed Sheeran Wouldn't Treat Me Like This

shoutout to my spanish teacher for giving me nostalgia by using class dojo to give us points and keep us motivated

You didn't expect Kagekao to be so...civil? No, wrong word. Courteous was a better word for his behaviour.

He entered your house through the front door, wiping his shoes on the mat before taking them off and placing them next to the wall. When he sat down in the living room, he took the corner of the sofa, both feet on the floor. His appearance never glitched, making it easier for you to focus on what was going on. In a way, you were thankful for the lack of glitching.

It was difficult to imagine him as the thing in the forest that had made you so paranoid.

'So, how long have you and dear Jack known each other?' Kagekao questioned, white eye glinting.

'A while,' you said, not wanting to give the exact length of time. (To be honest, you weren't exactly sure how long you had known EJ for. It felt like ages, but it couldn't be any longer than three weeks at most.)

'A while, huh? Why'd you meet? Have you been seeing us around for so long that you decided to befriend him?'

What is this? An interrogation? 'He wanted something of mine.'

Kagekao leaned forward, intrigued. 'Oh?'

'A knife I bought,' you added, 'it used to belong to him, so...' You trailed off, suddenly filled with nerves. 'Can I ask you something, Kagekao?'

'Of course.'

'Why're you so interested in my friendship with EJ?' Despite your apprehension, you forced a somewhat defensive tone. 'Are you trying to gain something?'

He let out a laugh, shaking his head. 'Oh, how precious. Do you think I'm going to ruin your friendship and cause him to turn on you? If I didn't like you I'd feel incredibly offended by your suspicions.'

'I-I didn't mean to upset you!' you rambled, fear levels spiking, 'I just—'

'(Y/N), your suspicions are entirely understandable,' Kagekao soothed, 'to you, I am just a stranger asking into your relationship, but rest assured, I mean no harm. EJ is a very good friend of mine, and I merely wanted to see who was keeping him company.'

You tilted your head. 'He's a...friend of yours?'

'Of course. Why, are you jealous?'

'No, I just never really expected serial killers to bond with other serial killers.'

'Many people don't,' he said with a small chuckle, 'but demonic entities do tend to stick together whether we like each other or not.'

'I'm guessing that you two do actually get along.'

'Your guess is correct. He won't admit it, but he enjoys my company. By the sound of it, he enjoys yours, too. That little road trip really brightened his mood.'

'Really?'

Kagekao nodded. 'Of course. You know what the five love languages are, right?'

You nodded.

'Good. Now, don't tell him I was the one who said this, but even though he's split pretty evenly amongst the five, he prefers to spend time with people. A few kind words and some physical contact won't go amiss, but quality time is more important. That's why the trip made him happier. He got to spend time with you.'

You felt your face grow warm at his last comment but brushed it off. 'Thanks for telling me.'

'No problem-o.' He suddenly burst into a fit of giggles. 'I came here to learn more about you and here I am, giving you—a human—advice on how to keep a kidney-eating demon happy. Oh, how ironic.'