Feel My Wrath and Extreme Self-Doubt

​​​​​​​warning: this chapter contains depictions of violence/r*pe that may make some uncomfortable.

In, out. In, out. In, out. In, out.

He drove the blade into the soft flesh of the body again and again, stabbing the corpse into a bloody mess. The victim's face was unrecognisable—who were they again? He didn't have a clue. They were just another meal to him, a fucked up heap of blood and tissue; just another name in the long list of fatalities he had caused. There was no malice behind the savagery. Well, not towards the poor victim in any case.

Arms aching, he plunged the weapon into the person's throat, fingers loosening their grip on the handle. The blade slipped, penetrating the flesh just to the right of the larynx.

He sat back, chest heaving as he gazed upon his work. When was the last time he made such a mess of things? Glancing down at his clothes, he scoffed in disgust at the amount of blood that covered them. It was even in his hair, for Pete's sake!

He got to his feet, stretching. His back stung from being hunched over for so long, but he couldn't be bothered to crack it. He just wanted rest. And clean clothes. And clean hair. Yeah, he wanted a lot of things, and had no idea where they ranked on the list of importance in his mind. Rest was probably the most important, but would definitely be the last thing he did.

A cough from behind him brought him out of his thoughts. Whirling around, the murderer came face to face with someone he knew well. He groaned in despair.

'What the hell are you doing here?' he spat.

The newcomer tutted in disapproval. 'How rude. I thought you would've been happy to see me. However—' he walked over to the mangled corpse and stared at it—'it appears you're a bit...wound up.'

'Don't start,' snapped the first man, switching to Japanese (which is what the newcomer spoke). 'I'm not in the mood to deal with anything right now.'

'I can see that,' the second man said, 'and I brought you something.' He pulled a small bag from his pocket and tossed them to the first man. 'The metal was easy to remove; I don't know why you didn't just rip it open.'

He recognised the bag easily. 'Where did you get this from?'

'A lovely little cabin in the woods. Though, they prefer to call it a "cottage in the forest", don't they?'

'You don't mean—'

'Yes, I do mean. Your new little plaything.'

'They are not my plaything, Kagekao! And they aren't mine, either!'

They aren't mine yet, whispered a little voice in the first man's head.

The smile on Kagekao's mask widened. 'Judging by your reaction, you've grown quite fond of them, haven't you?'

'No I haven't. Piss off and leave me alone.'

'Ouch, someone's still a bit fraught, isn't he? Want something else to use to relieve the stress?'

'I thought I just told you to piss off?'

'You did, you did. I'm merely choosing to selectively ignore you.'

The first man tutted. 'Typical.'

Kagekao selectively ignored him again. He dragged something out from behind a tree. Another body.

'Here you go,' he said, letting go of the person's feet. 'A present for my favourite eyeless demon to use as he pleases.'

EJ took a step towards the body, his hand hovering over their mouth and nose. 'They're still alive,' he noted. 'Look, I'm not into somnophilia—'