There Are Weirder Ways To Learn About Death

'I see you've been busy,' Clockwork noted, gingerly kicking the corpse with her boots. 'Thought you would've stayed on the straight and narrow since you're human and all.'

Jack glared at the body. 'Honestly? I did too. He had it coming, though.'

'Was he a threat to your dearly beloved?' Clockwork cooed, 'was he going to say "hello" to them?' The look in her forest green eye was the look of someone who knew far, far more than she was letting on.

You won't win a fight against her. Calm down. 'How do you know?' he inquired.

'About what? (Y/N)? Or your feelings?'

'Both.'

Clockwork leant back against a nearby tree, arms folded, and said: 'Dude, you're not very subtle—at least, not to us. We know how you work. You've never been good at sharing, and this new human is no exception. You spent weeks stalking them, for God's sake! We all know about it, and we've all been waiting for you to make a move. It's getting boring.'

'I will make a move,' Jack said sharply, 'just...not yet.' That wasn't a lie. He wanted to make a move. He had to. Every day that passed added a little more impatience into his head, and he wasn't sure how much longer he could keep playing pretend. He wanted to march into your house and keep pestering you until you regained your memories of him, and if that didn't work, he would demand that Chernabog return them. You had said so yourself: you felt like you knew him, and only went out with Socks because you were distracting yourself. Somewhere, deep within your subconscious, in the furthest and most darkest part that remained inaccessible even to you, your affections for him were lurking just under the surface, waiting to be unlocked.

Oh, how he craved your affection.

'Hah! Sure you will.' Clockwork laughed, the clock in her eye spinning to point at quarter past five. 'Anyway, you need help getting rid of this thing?' She gestured vaguely to the blood-soaked carcass.

'If you can spare the time. I think the easiest way to get rid of it is to bury it. The river here isn't good enough.'

'And where, pray tell, can we bury it?'

Jack paused. There was only one place in the forest that was frequently disturbed enough to be considered unsuspicious, but it meant potentially jeopardising your innocence in the eyes of the law if it was ever discovered.

'Well,' he began slowly, brain whirring, 'I know that there's a spot where dead animals are buried. It's less than ideal, but it doesn't have to be a permanent disposal. We can drive it to the nearest beach tomorrow.'

'I'll take it, it's fine. Just bury it and I'll come back for it later. If we leave it out in the open, your dearly beloved might find it.' She snickered. 'Bet you'd love it if they came crying to you out of fear from finding a corpse. You would be able to swoop in and make it all better.'

Jack frowned. Of course he had thought of doing that, but wouldn't that hurt you? Would showing you a dead body on purpose make you sick? Probably, he decided. If something was going to cause you harm, then he wasn't going to expose you to it. Simple as.

'We aren't showing them the dead body,' he said coldly. 'If they see it, you'll be the one getting buried.'

Clockwork's grin stretched. 'You think you could win in a fight against me? Hah! I'd like to see you try. You're nowhere near my level, you little twerp—a fight with me would be the last thing that you ever do, and your pretty little possession will get snatched up by their partner.'