Part 36: Couples dance

It was a few months later, and Jo had been invited to a couples dance by one of her friends, who was a DJ for a local bar. The bar was hosting their annual "couples dance party" which cost $20 to enter, but it includes free drinks for the entire night at the bar, and it also included a fruit bar, and catering from "Uncle Diego's tamales and tacos" as well as an ice cream sandwich booth. Jo had already told brick about it, and he was excited to go to the party.

" Are you ready for the party, Jo?" brick asked, wearing his black tuxedo.

Jo, busy with makeup, replied."I'm just finishing my eyeliner and then I'll be ready."

"Ok!" Jo said back.

Once the pair were ready, Jo got into the car and brick drove them to the bar. Jo paid for their tickets, and they went inside. Once they arrived, Brick wanted to get a "couples photo" at the photography section of the party.

 Once they arrived, Brick wanted to get a "couples photo" at the photography section of the party

Jo got a sangria after the photo, and Brick got a blended margarita. Once they finished their drinks, they did a bit of dancing, and then got some pineapple skewers at the fruit bar. Then, Jo got a watermelon skewer after finishing the pineapple one, and then she decided to go back to the bar and get another sangria, which she shared with Brick. 

"The drinks are so good!" Brick said, before taking the last sip of their drink.

"Huh? I can't hear you because the music is loud. What did you say?" Jo asked.

"I said the drinks are super good here." Brick said, louder and slower.

"Oh! Yeah, I agree." Jo replied.

Brick, wanting to dance more, asked, "Do you wanna do some more dancing? When I was a kid, I was told that dancing was sinful unless it was worship dancing, and it was also not allowed to be mixed-gender dancing either, so being able to dance together is very fun. I just love how I can finally do the dancing that I wanna do."

"So, your parents followed strict Christian norms too?" Jo asked, curious.

"Yes. And I could only listen to Christian music, and it also could only be from 11 approved artists. And even then, I remember that Motzart was the only non-Christian artist I was allowed to listen to, and I was only even allowed this because my mom liked his music a lot.

"Wow. I didn't know you had this strict of a house." Jo remarked, shocked.

Brick looked at Jo and said, "But I have more. I could also only read books that were from this one Christian bookstore near our church, and even then, my parents had to approve every book before I could buy it. Oh and the bible was the only book I had 24/7 access to from age 5 and up. "

"Wow. Is that all? Or is there more?" Jo asked, curious to know more.

"Oh no, I have A LOT more. My mom would also give me exactly 1 week to read each book she bought me, and after that week, I'd be required to give it to her. Oh and if I didn't give her the book, I'd be grounded for a week. Oh and when I gave her my book, she'd donate it to our church, and maybe, if I was well behaved enough, she'd let me buy another book from the Christian bookstore."