part 52: Concert fun

Jo and Brick were in the car, driving home from Walmart, Jamming out to the pop band "Smashing Blueberries" when the Radio Host announced they were doing a Canadian tour and listed Jo and Brick's city.

"OMG, I've always wanted to see them live!" Jo shouted with excitement.

"Yeah! Maybe we can go to the concert!" Brick replied.

Soon, the radio host played "Wildest Night in New York" by the band, and Jo and Brick arrived home.

"They are playing at the big music hall on 17th Street. We should totally go!" Jo said, looking online at her laptop in the living room.

"how much do tickets cost, Jo?" Brick asked.

"$347 for cheap tickets in the back of the music hall, $582 for the first 3 rows of seats behind the row labeled 'special fans', and $700 for 'special fans' row seats with a free autographed Beanie included. So the first row is $700, the next 3 rows are $582, and the rest of the seats are $347." Jo replied, laser-focused on finding good seats.

"Wow, that's expensive!" Brick grumbled.

"Yeah well you need to pick a price and I'll look for tickets within that seating area." Jo sleepily replied, exhausted from staying out till 1:40 am last night at a bar.

"I don't want to spend all this money though, are you sure you cannot find cheaper tickets?" Brick hesitated. 

"I'm tired from last night so make it quick. I want to take a nap." Jo replied listlessly.

"Just get the $347 tickets then. And if we go, I hope they play 'sexy eyes' my favorite song!" Brick said back.

"Ok," Jo said, before buying tickets and shutting her laptop. 

After walking upstairs and getting into bed, Jo decided to take a nap. She removed her clothing, put on her light pink bathrobe, and fell asleep. Brick was downstairs watching ESPN on mute with subtitles not to wake Jo, and he was texting his friend about the 49ers vs. Jacksonville Jaguars football game. He was rooting for the 49ers, but the Jaguars were ahead by 7 points by the 3rd quarter, and in the end, they ended up winning by 2 points, with the score 17 - 19.

An hour later, Brick decided to make salmon and asparagus for lunch, and after cooking, he woke Jo up and the two ate their food in bed. 

 3 days later the concert happened, and Jo and Brick were parking their car, when all of a sudden, Brick got a phone call from his sister.

"Hey, I'm about to enter the concert hall. Call me later?" Brick asked slowly.

"No. This is serious. it's about our mom." Brick's sister cautioned.

"Well be quick. I don't want to miss the show."

"Um... did you not see her Facebook post where she talked about how she hates being alive?"

"No, sis. I stopped using Facebook last year. What's this all about?" Brick responded, annoyed.

"Um... Brick, our mom attempted suicide and she's in the hospital with severe gunshot wounds to her arms and legs. 11 total wounds. 2 on her left arm, 8 on her right leg, and one on her stomach."

"Wait WHAT?!" Brick screamed.

"Yeah. Sorry to be a buzzkill but this is serious."

Brick hung up and put his phone away. Jo looked at him concerned and asked him what the call was.

"My mom committed suicide and luckily she's alive, but she's in the hospital and just had emergency surgery to remove 10 bullets from her body," Brick said through his tears.

"And she waited to tell you now, right before the concert?" Jo huffed, "She couldn't have waited?"

"No."

"What a horrible sister!" Jo yelled.

"Let's just get our seats, and maybe we can lift our mood." Brick consoled.

"NO. I'M TALKING TO YOUR SISTER AND GIVING HER A PIECE OF MY ANGER."

GOSH DAMN IT JO! MY MOM ALMOST KILLED HERSELF AND OF COURSE MY SISTER WANTED TO TELL ME. SHE WAS UPSET TOO! STAY OUT OF IT!" Brick yelled. 

"Calm down, Brick. No need to yell." Jo said back.

"MY MOM TRIED TO KILL HERSELF! DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN." Brick yelled.

"Hey let's get our seats."

"Oh so now you want to find our seats, huh?" Brick mocked. 

After Jo calmed Brick down, they went inside the theater and both ordered nacho cheese fries and beers, and they got to their seats. The band opened with their famous song "Astroturf" "Sunday Morning News" and "Saturday is for Lovers"  Before playing the famous song, "Wildest Night in New York" Then they took a 3-minute break because the trumpet player needed some water and the electric guitarist had to pee. Then, they played their song, "Paris Lovers" and "Last Night in Rome" followed by their song "Greek Beach" 

"I was wandering on a beach in Greece when that hot girl followed me! Her long blonde hair swung gracefully as she locked eyes with me!" everyone shouted from the crowd during the chorus of "Greek Beach." 

After the song, Jo left to get a 2nd beer, and then she came back just in time for her favorite song "Spring Flowers." Then, the band took an intermission.

"Wow their performance of 'Astroturf' was so incredible!" Jo gushed, talking to Brick.

"Yeah! That piano solo at the end of the song really was so killer!" Brick gushed. "The way Sara played was so magical! She really knows how to jam on Piano!"

"Yeah! That G chord in the chorus is so dramatic!"

"I know, right?" Brick perked up.

After the 15-minute intermission, the band played 13 more songs, including hits like "Carly Bedroom" and "Candy's Downfall" about Johns EX ex-girlfriend Nancy Rose Candy." Then the show ended. 

As Jo and Brick walked to their cars, Brick got another phone call from her sister. 

"Hey, Brick? Mom is fine. She'll be discharged from the hospital tomorrow morning and transferred to a psych ward until she is deemed no longer suicidal. "

"Well, that's good news!" Brick said, breathing a sigh of relief. 

"Yeah, and she said most of her self-hate is due to you having no contact with her recently. She thinks you find her to be a bad parent and so obviously she shouldn't have even been born. I know you want to talk to her but don't. She's just gonna bully you and be super mean. You don't need that bad energy in your life." Brick's sister said, rambling on and on about her mom.

"Okay, I get it. She sucks." Brick snapped. 

"Well just don't talk to her." Brick's sister huffed.

"Gees I won't!" Brick grumbled. 

"I don't trust you."

"Oh shut up. You're the one who told me about her accident RIGHT BEFORE A CONCERT." Brick huffed.

"And what? You seem to be fine." Brick's sister said before hanging up on Brick.

Soon, Jo and Brick got home, and they got into bed. It was 9:57 PM when they got home, and after Jo drank sleepy time tea, they went to bed with Brick and they dosed off.