Chapter 28: A Noble Sacrifice

Wendell

As the two slowly approach the enemy soldiers before them, for a split second, the prince almost has second thoughts. His heart is racing with clammy hands uncertain just how this scenario will play out. Although shockingly enough, Oliver's presence does soothe his nerves a little bit. He would have been far more anxious going about this scheme by himself.

All of the knights are unconscious on the ground but the lack of red implies they aren't dead. Only one explanation can explain this resembling a certain incident at the castle.

This must be the work of Lorenzo's sleeping gases...

He knocked out the ones stationed at the front gate for easy access into the kingdom. It'll take time for the other soldiers to assemble and march out together--even without Margaret's distract, so it's good he gained the courage to face his foe there and now. The man of interest stands just a mere few feet awaze from him.

"Where are your men, Prince Wendell? I plan to have this second battle between our kingdoms be the final one. Don't complicate things and make your people endure more suffering," Henry voices, and his deep tone causes a shiver to run down the younger's spine. The king has dark wavy brunette hair which is mostly tied back, excluding some wild bangs. His light armor over such a muscular body is simply for show, and Henry's scowl is hidden underneath the oddly colored cloth mask. It must be some sort of protection for the gasses they will unleash against his people, if this plan doesn't succeed.

"I...I wanted to converse with you about the real origin of this war. That's why I humbly ask you to cross blades with me and my comrade in a simple duel. Us winning will require you to heed what all I have to say, but if we succumb to defeat, I surrender my kingdom over to you."

Wendell tries his best not to stutter as he speaks but gets his point across plain and clear. The last part is an absolute fib though hopefully, he talked bold enough for him to buy such a grand lie. His entire strategy rests upon Henry's agreement to these terms.

"He's bluffing, Your Majesty! No way does this mere boy have that kind of authority. He only wants us to turn back today because they're low on military might. Then later teaming with Quincy as the rumors have said, they'll attack when we least expect it!" Lorenzo sneers, his cold gray eyes staring down from on top of the mount as if he's beneath him. The prince has never seen the alchemist once until now, yet his hunched back and high collar cloak is almost exactly how he visualized him.

"I believe we should allow our rulers to discuss this on their own. Surely someone who takes charge of a country as large as Khisenfire doesn't need your input," Oliver retorts, the old man exhaling deeply but not another word leaves his mouth. Wendell shoots him an appreciative smile and then looks to Henry for his answer to the proposal.

Their adversary's whole mood has changed drastically from moments ago. A softer expression has taken over as if his stern attitude was an intimidation tactic. The king steps off of his horse approaching the two while fellow men watch curiously at Henry's next move.

"I too prefer to resolve this conflict with as little loss as possible. Just because we saw King Gus for his true nature doesn't mean we should make assumptions about his son. This duel is reasonable to me."

"If that's what you've firmly decided, not one of us can speak against your verdict. However, I find it unfair these boys are facing off against you together. You must also be allowed to have a soldier participate to truly make this battle equal," Lorenzo suggests, and if anything he's the one trying to weigh the outcome in his favor.

"No do offense, but your king is twice our age, and has more combat experience than both of us combined. Including the touch of armor, without my ally, I would be at an extreme disadvantage. A rising war hero as himself should be able to handle these odds."