Chapter 33: His One True Love

Wendell

The prince presses forth on his horse galloping up the grassy deserted hill. He fetched one from the palace stables to reach his destination as soon as possible. Now is the time to finally make things right, even if a painful rejection is still the end result.

Reaching the top, Wendell allows his trusted mount to roam freely while he approaches the girl who sits against a tree. Despite his feet dragging through the grass, Kana's body doesn't move an inch. Almost as if she is disconnected from the world while spinning the single flower around in her hand. Not a ribbon decorates her disheveled afro hair which resurfaces images of that painful confrontation.

"I knew you would be here, Kana. This is the place you said for us to meet in your letter."

"Ah!... I wrote it before knowing the boy I love lied to me for two months straight." Kana glances over her shoulder and just one look at the puffiness under her eyes causes his heart to sink. "Why'd you come, Wendell? Your wedding should have already started a long time ago."

"The ceremony was abruptly canceled. Blanche did so herself after realizing there was someone she valued far more. Likewise, I have one true half to whom my heart belongs and that person is you."

Kana stays silent picking the petals off the blue rose one by one, and he can't exactly blame her cold behavior. The way he acted during their last confrontation was a total disgrace to the Chestna family name. This time around, Wendell plans to humble himself by giving her the proper treatment she deserved all along.

"You do have every right to be furious with me-"

"When it came to my dad, his betrayal wasn't really that surprising. Excluding Rocco, we were both in denial, but I never expected you would pull such a grand deception..." She takes a stand facing the ash-blonde with her identical wounded gaze implanted in his memory. The bare stem slips from her fingertips like their once priceless bond slowly peeling away. "T-The amount of trust I had up until the night you took it all away."

"I took you for granted thus ruining the tender connection we formed together. But please, give ear as I proclaim my deepest apologies and straightforward confession. If you aren't convinced of my humility and still have lingering doubts, the two of us can go our separate ways."

The prince pauses just a second in case she has any objections, but since Kana remains quiet he takes a breath to begin his unprepared speech.

"I will open by saying the trickery I did to you was unjustifiably wrong. The ridiculous fibs I uttered despite getting presented with numerous opportunities to tell you the truth. No regard for your emotions, I only thought about myself." Wendell places an arm across his chest while giving a small bow in unison. "I regret my inconsiderate actions and from the bottom of my heart, plead for your forgiveness."

"...When I woke up briefly while trying to sleep through the fever, my mom shared that you dropped by."

"I wasn't aware Hannah overheard me and your brother's conversation. If I didn't create an argument you wouldn't have run home with damp clothing in the first place..." he mumbles, and Kana was very sweet the time he had gotten sick.

"Initially, I thought she inserted flowery words with your apology to ease my pain. My mom had felt responsible for the gold mishap but Rocco also confirmed what was said. Seeing you now, I know you're being sincere, however..."

Kana's voice trails off absentmindedly twisting a strand of her knotted hair.

"If you could deceive me for weeks and own up solely because you've been caught, how can I trust you moving forward? Plus, I'm uncertain if you even believe my letter given you conducted an entire test to determine the merit of my love."