Chapter 21 - Hotaru Secret

The avian invention crafted by Hotaru soared into the eastern sky, catching the eye of Calliope, who stood next to Mikan, her gaze filled with admiration.

Hotaru approached them, avoiding Mikan's attempt at a hug. She then turned to the chicken machine, and Calliope eagerly pointed towards it.

"Hotaru, what's that? Can I try it? " Calliope inquired, a slight smile playing on her lips.

Hotaru responded with a nod. "Yes, you can."

//

Me and Mikan excitedly engaged in a game, aiming to capture the red flag from opponents' heads. I skillfully maneuvered the chicken machine, successfully making it move

Amazed, I observed Mikan successfully grabbing numerous flags, eliciting a giggle from me. However, my attention was abruptly captured as a little boy seized the flag from my head.

Stunned, I turned to the little boy, but before I could react, his chicken machine unexpectedly took flight, leaving me bewildered.

My gaze shifted to Hotaru as she ran up to me, both of us looking up at the flying chicken machine. Hotaru murmured with a concerned expression, "It shouldn't be able to fly like that."

Wanting to communicate with her, I parted my lips to speak, "Hotaru, I'll take care of it. Please ask Mochiage to use their telekinesis ability!"

Hotaru turned her attention to me, listening intently.

Hotaru warned me, "It's dangerous, Calliope."

Undeterbed, I asserted, "I don't care if it's dangerous; we have to save the boy!"

After a moment of hesitation, she agreed, but not without a worried expression.

"Just be careful," she warned, as I nodded confidently before redirecting my chicken machine to Mikan.

"Please stay put, Mikan," I instructed, my voice firm.

Mikan protested, "But it's dangerous..."

I reassured her, "I can handle it, don't worry. It's partially my fault, after all."

Mikan hesitated, but ultimately agreed, replying, "Okay, just be careful."

"Mochige, can you lift my chicken?" Mikan called out.

"Mikan!" I exclaimed.

Mikan responded determinedly, "I also want to save the little boy. My nullification ability might be helpful."

I Our gazes met, and I lowered my eyes in contemplation.

'She's the heroine of this story, and I'm just an unknown character. I shouldn't be trying to play the part of a heroine.'

After a moment, I conceded, "Fine, try to save the kid, and be careful."

Mikan smiled at me, and Mochige lifted her chicken, enabling her to fly and draw closer to the little boy.

I stood still, staring up at the sky, deep in thought about something peculiar.

A pang of guilt washed over me as I thought, 'I feel like I'm stealing Mikan's position as the heroine. I shouldn't meddle too much with the story.'

Just then, a classmate exclaimed, "She's jumping to his machine!"

Mikan leaped to the little boy's chicken machine, successfully rescuing him. A faint smile appeared on my face, but our relief was short-lived. The chicken suddenly turned erratic, its behavior growing more bizarre by the second.

"Huh, wait, this isn't supposed to happen..." My thoughts raced as I fixated on the chaotic situation unfolding.

Without hesitation, I propelled myself into the air, harnessing the power of the wind.