Chapter 48 - Natsume & Calliope's Past III

As months turned into a year, Calliope's life began to take on a new rhythm. While she still cherished the letters she exchanged with Natsume, her days were now filled with the friendships she formed at her new school.

Ruka and Haru became her confidantes and companions, providing a sense of normalcy and joy in her life. Despite hiding her true identity behind a fake name and dyed hair, she found contentment in their company.

Calliope's mother's warning echoed in her mind, urging her to keep her true identity a secret from her newfound friends.

"Cali-Chan what's wrong your being spaced out" Ruka showed with concern tone as he was holding a milk

Calliope snapped out of her reverie when Ruka addressed her, noticing the concerned look on her friend's face.

"Oh, it's nothing," she tried to brush it off, forcing a small smile. "Just lost in thought, that's all."

Haru, ever observant, took a seat beside her, her gaze studying Calliope's expression.

"Are you sure?" Haru pressed gently.

"You've been quiet all day."

"My friend from my previous town hasn't replied to my letter, it's been 3 months..."

"Well, they likely forgot about you." Haru says as she looks to him.

"Jeez, you're not helping at all," Calliope thought. She knew Natsume for 2 years he's likely wouldn't forget anyone.

"maybe there's a problem hes not replying don't worry Cali He will reply." Ruka says with smile to cheer her up

Ruka's attempt to reassure her was met with a forced smile from Calliope. She tried to push away the worries about Natsume's lack of replies, but the nagging feeling lingered.

Haru's comment about hanging out with boys prompted Calliope to explain herself.

"It's just... girls can be complicated, you know," she responded truthfully. "I'd rather hang out with you two than deal with petty gossip and jealousy."

Their conversation was interrupted as Ruka suggested a change of scenery to ease Calliope's worries.

"Hey, let's go check out the cherry blossoms," Ruka proposed, his eyes lighting up with excitement. "The petals are falling, and maybe it'll take your mind off things."

Calliope, grateful for the distraction, nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, that sounds nice," she replied, a small smile playing on her lips.

"Were just going nearby you both don't need to come with us." Ruka says

Ruka's bodyguard, used to his protection details, nodded in acknowledgement.

"Of course, Ruka-sama," the bodyguard replied respectfully.

Haru, familiar with the situation due to Ruka's protective family, chimed in, her tone casual.

"It's fine, we're used to it. Your bodyguards always accompany you everywhere."

Calliope eagerly held onto Ruka and Haru's arms, her excitement evident in her voice.

"Let's go!" she exclaimed. "The canteen has a new menu, and I heard there's something really yummy on it!"

They chuckled at her enthusiasm Calliope really likes food.

As they know it.

///

Calliope arrived at school early, still feeling a bit groggy from oversleeping the previous day. She was surprised to find Ruka already in the classroom, his bag settled in its place.