𝘍𝘰𝘶𝘳

I stand in the kitchen, adjusting my pyjamas as I make some cereal before making my way over to the kitchen table to sit down. I hear the front door unlocking just as I sit, meaning Jane is finally home.

"Diana, I'm home!"

"And I am in the kitchen, Jane!" I shout back, looking to the kitchen doorframe to see her peaking head in.

"Oh, hey." She says, walking over to the counter where she drops all of her things down. She's been later than usual getting home recently like I said and it's lonely being here by myself, I have Sadie but still. I miss Jane sometimes.

"How was work?" I look at her while scooping up a spoon full of my lucky charms.

"It was fine...Same old, same old." She smiles slightly, walking over and taking a seat beside me at the wooden table which has seen better days...There's parts of the table where it's chipped and marked but then again, Jane has had this table for years so it's not too surprising.

"How was your day?" She asks, pulling out a cigarette making me huff, I hate her smoking inside. I hate her smoking in general...It's bad for her health. I slap Charlie when I find out he's been smoking then he just tells me to loosen up. I can loosen up without killing myself.

"Fine, I got invited to a party next weekend." I pull one of my legs up onto the chair as Jane looks at me, surprised but there's also a tired look on her face as she inhales all the bad things a cigarette contains.

"Are you going to go? Do you have your eye on any boys this year?" She smiles and I do too, rolling my eyes.

"I don't know and no." I reply as she reaches across the table, grabbing the crystal glass ashtray and dragging it closer to her. Boys never really seem to catch my eye at school but I'm always focused on my classwork at school anyway. I mean, a few guys have occasionally sat next to me in a class and spoke to me—I got asked out before but I politely said no. He wanted to go on a date with me and I guess I should have went, maybe if I got to know him, I'd be attracted to him. But, I've never really been head over heels for anybody, I've never really felt anything towards guys just Charlie. That's never been in a romantic way though.

"You have never spoken to me about your crushes, go on, tell me. Even a celebrity crush." She smiles and I eat some more of my cereal so I can think of a response without stuttering and trying to think of anyone...

"I don't like anyone, I've never had a crush on any boys." I purse my lips awkwardly and Jane looks at me. I mean Melody—she's—I don't even know her but she's pretty and nice. I'd like to be her friend or something, not Ciara's though.

"...And what about girls?" She sits up straight while her eyes stay on me and I drop my spoon causing some milk to splash onto the table. I don't know how I should answer that question—I wasn't expecting it. I don't know what response I would get if I answered it truthfully. I've always found girls pretty—more than pretty, they make my heart race in a way boys don't.

"I don't know...I mean I'm eighteen and haven't even had my first kiss, it's embarrassing and I'm unsure. I don't feel any attraction towards boys but some girls, I find them pretty. Not pretty but you know...attractive, I guess." I shrug and she nods as I suck in a deep breath, trying to steady my heart that seems to think I'm after running a marathon by the way it's beating.

"It doesn't matter what age you have your first kiss. It's also okay to be confused about your feelings, I'm not saying you liking girls is confusion. If you do, I support you one hundred percent. I've dated girls, they are very different to men." Jane smiles and my mouth falls open slightly as I stare at Jane in complete shock. This is something that I didn't know.