Chapter 7: Futile

*Bailey's POV*

Out of nowhere, my head struck the bedside table, and I landed hard on the ground with a loud thud. The last thing I knew before this unfortunate situation was falling asleep last night. So this is how she decided I needed to wake up today... Just great... My entire body already felt on fire because I was extremely sore from everything I had endured the previous day. I remained on the floor, letting my body rest before I had no choice but to move, and it didn't last long.

"Get your lazy ass ready. We leave in ten minutes for our classes," My girlfriend demanded, and I slowly got up from the floor.

"I need more time than that; I still have to sho—" I began to say, but Victoria quickly slapped me across the face the second I was standing at my full height. The stinging burn of her handprint that lingered on my cheek pulsated vibrantly.

"You should have thought about that now, shouldn't you? You will not make me late," She spat, and I lowered my head.

My mind immediately started replying to her. I would have showered last night if you had let me, but you didn't... So, what am I supposed to do, huh? Nothing... There's nothing I can do but deal with whatever you throw at me until I can't take it anymore and hopefully just drop dead. Maybe that's precisely what you want from me. You don't love me... and for the longest time, I thought you did, but... I guess I'm a fool for believing that you'd learn to love me if I was better and didn't make you angry... Nothing I do is good enoug

Suddenly, Victoria viscously grabbed me by my nightshirt and pulled me threateningly close to her face as she said, "Did you fucking hear a word I just said, or were you daydreaming again like the idiot you are...? If you make me repeat myself, I swear to God, you'll regret it."

"No, I heard you." That was all I could reply to her.

"Good, now get ready," She commanded, and I sighed inwardly.

"...Okay."

"That's what I thought," Victoria added as she left the bedroom, leaving me alone for the first time in two days.

As much as I would have liked to take in the moment of silence, for all it was worth, I couldn't do that. The longer I take, the worse my punishment will be. Even if I did as I was told, there were always loopholes she'd find to hurt me more. Though my tortured body was screaming in agony, I ignored the cries as I hurried into the bathroom and began to wash my face.

After I dried the dripping water that remained, I brushed my teeth. I knew from the oily roots of my hair that the best thing I could do was not leave it down but instead put it up. Once I rinsed the toothpaste from my mouth, I quickly combed my hair and tied it into a messy, lazy bun. The final step included concealer; I dabbed some on the discolorations on my face, neck, and arms to hide the more prominent bruises.

Upon exiting the bathroom, I took a deep breath and let it out as I picked up my book bag. Packed within the relatively large backpack that I favored included every homework assignment for my classes. There were a variety of art supplies as well, like my sketchbook, pens, and graphite pencils. When we got home from class, I appreciated that Victoria sometimes took time away from me to do her homework. However, she made me complete it for her most of the time.

I placed the bag's strap on my non-dominant arm because the other was aching tremendously, and I didn't want to harm it further. Then, I walked toward the kitchen, where I saw my girlfriend eating some breakfast. I noticed a piece of toasted bread sitting in the toaster, so I thought she might have left that for me. I was wrong. As soon as I picked it up to take a bite from it, she slapped it away and scowled at me.