Chapter 10: Tutoring

*Parker's POV*

It has been a little over a week since I took over Delphine Ellis' class, and so far, everything has been going reasonably well. Everything at home is lovely; Shay is just as crazy as ever. My morning routine started as it typically does, and since Devin picked up Shay, I had the car. Before I left for work, I brought extra supplies for Ashley Moore; she sent me an email late last night asking for more paint and another couple of canvases. I'm glad she feels more comfortable reaching out to me when she needs my help.

During the last couple of Introduction to Art Theories & Principles classes, we delved further into color theory, just as I promised. I informed them, in great detail, of the additive and subtractive processes concerning color and the components that make color exist. This afternoon, I went over all the color models and assigned them a worksheet for homework. As for my Advanced Art Principles & Painting Techniques class, I went over the two projects I had previously assigned, answered all their questions, and then went over a plethora of drawing and painting techniques used throughout history. An hour ago, I gave them the assignment I put together to gauge their understanding of everything we went over in the last two classes.

Speaking of that class... I can't help but notice whenever I specifically call on Bailey to answer one of my questions; Victoria moves her body closer or glares in her direction. Right after something like that occurs, Bailey very subtly shakes her head, almost as if to tell me she doesn't know the answer or doesn't want to reply to me. When it happens, I just call on another student. It's... odd... something about this whole situation isn't settling right with me, and I don't want to assume anything, but... I am pretty sure she and Victoria are dating or more than friends. They always arrive holding hands, and they sit very close together... Apart from that, it's safe to say that both classes are going great; most of my students have been taking well to my lessons and assignments. I'm proud of each of them.

After those thoughts passed, I took my phone out and noticed that class would end in less than twenty minutes. "Alrighty, everyone," I started saying to grab their attention, then continued, "Class is almost over, so I'll need each of you to finish up with your worksheet and turn it in before you leave."

Lisa Berry's hand then shot up.

"Yes, Lisa?" I said.

"Can I bring it up to you now since I am done?" She asked me.

I nodded my head affirmatively before adding, "Whenever you've finished an assignment for me, you are allowed to bring it up and put it in this bin," I paused as I pointed to it, then finished, "That goes for you and everyone in this class, okay?"

The other students merely nodded their heads at my words, but not Lisa. Instead, she enthusiastically jumped out of her seat and had a grin on her face too. Then, she strutted to my desk and placed her finished worksheet into the bin that I had just recently spoken of. I mentally shook my head at her rather apparent proud-like happiness and watched as a couple of other kids rose from their seats and put their work in the bin as well. It's an excellent time to let them know I will be tutoring today after class.

"For those who don't know, I stay after a few hours every week to help any art students with whatever might be challenging them. Today is that day, and any of you who require assistance are more than welcome to remain after class," As I spoke those words, I glanced around the class until Bailey finally lifted her head, instantly catching my attention.

She looked directly at me, and our eyes locked.

It was brief, but it felt vital. In mere seconds, Bailey was focusing on me and then quickly glanced at Victoria, then right back to me. At that moment, it was as if Bailey was giving me an almost pleading look before she reverted to facing her desk again. She remained looking at nothing in particular. Wait? Did I see that right? I wonder if she is signaling to me... If she was, why? Hmmm... If I were in her shoes and just gave a professor such a look, I would hope beyond all else that they took the hint and did something about it.