Chapter 31: Christmas

*Bailey's POV*

It was bright and early on Christmas day when I awoke with an eager mix of excitement and anticipation. I jumped right out of bed and ran to the living room. When Shay, Parker, and I finished decorating, we left everything as it was; no presents had been placed yet. We had waited for Christmas Eve to start placing them under the tree, which made complete sense. I still need to put my gifts there... I wonder if Shay and Parker already did it, and if so, when did they find the time to? As soon as I entered the room, I felt transported to another dimension; I had never gazed upon something that made me feel so many things.

I'm becoming so emotional right now.

I closed my eyes, centering myself and my emotions; the first feeling I felt was a sort of empty nostalgia because I never once knew what it was like. My parents hated celebrating, especially on Christmas, and I was literally deprived of it. So when I saw the room fully finished and decorated with various lights, garnishes, statues of Santa, and candy canes, it all made me sad. But then, as I thought about the true meaning of Christmas... it was about spending time, sharing gifts, and being merry with your family, so I chose to focus on that.

I have missed out before, but I won't anymore, not ever.

Parker and Shay were my new family, my home, and that realization alone made me utterly happy. No longer would I allow myself to be sad about the past or holidays; I've accepted it and have moved on. Additionally, I told myself that I shouldn't shed any more tears for my past. I deserve that much, and there's no better time than now to start. When I opened my eyes again, it was with a new perspective and insight. I could then look at the scene before me anew.

There, in front of me, was all our hard work beautifully lit; the atmosphere around me was warm and full of life. I noticed additional details that Shay and Parker must have added after I went to bed, and it only made everything more perfect. I saw new white icicle lights stapled to the frame that separated the wall and roof; it was beautiful and added the right pop of color. Then, on top of the fireplace, several new picture frames with photos of us together, smiling and happy. Others included small groups of everyone; me and Teresa, me and Parker, and me and Shay all separated—my family.

Wow... this is so... enchanting...

After realizing the presents were under the tree, I hurried to my bedroom and grabbed the bag of gifts I had purchased. I wanted to make sure these were joined with the others before Parker and Shay woke up. So, with a spring in my step, I speed-walked as quietly as possible and set the gifts down when I returned to the living room. When I finished that task, I took a step back, observing my recent addition and feeling accomplished.

Yes, perfect!!

As soon as I turned around to retrieve my phone from the bedroom, I was greeted by Shay, standing there with a charming smile on her face. I just about shit myself, and in a hushed yell, I gasped, "Goddamn it, Shay!!"

She held her hand over her mouth to quiet down her infectious laughter, and when she could speak again, she said, "Good morning to you too, Bailey." Then, she opened her arms, adding, "Merry Christmas."

My eyes watered.

I embraced my friend a second later and wished her the same in return, then I asked, "Wait, why are you up so early?"

"I have to start cooking food for us, so while I do that... Why don't you go ahead and wake up your girl?" She cheekily responded, and I blushed at her words. You don't have to tell me twice, haha.

"Won't Devin be stopping by?" I asked, and Shay shook her head.

"Unfortunately, no, she and her father spend this holiday together, and I wouldn't want to take her away from the only family she knows, you know? Plus, I can always give her my gift tomorrow anyway."