Chapter 13: Worry

*Parker's POV*

My ringtone suddenly blared on the nightstand next to me. I picked up my cell phone, cleared my throat as best as I could, and then said, "Hello?"

"Good morning. Is this Parker Avery?" An unknown older-sounding woman asked, and I hummed in agreement with my eyes still closed.

"Yes, this is her," I answered.

For the next ten minutes, I was informed that I needed to sub for another class this morning. The woman who called, waking me, was an English teacher at the university and was under the weather. She also mentioned that a colleague told her how I covered his class once before. After she finished advising me about everything, to be sure, I asked, "You're aware that I am an art professor, correct?"

"Haha, yes, I am. I already confirmed this with my boss, who then got approval from yours," The woman stated.

"Okay, sounds good. What do I need to know?"

"My students have already been emailed with what needs to be done today. They are aware you'll be checking their documents at the end of class. I sent you a checklist that you'll need to send me with how much progress is done on each student's research papers," She explained while I silently yawned.

"Alright, that sounds easy enough," I replied as I finally sat up in bed before adding, "When does your class begin?"

"In thirty minutes," She answered.

Shit.

"Thank you. I don't mean to cut you off so abruptly, but I must get ready now so I won't be late for your class," I added, and with a quick 'thanks again,' she hung up the call.

With haste, I jumped out of bed and sprinted toward the restroom, where I brushed my teeth and quickly showered. I was fortunate that the drive to the university was only ten minutes from home. After getting dressed and heading out the door, I was soon walking through the school's doors. Instantly, I noticed the change in the atmosphere; it was sweltering and stuffy upon entering. I wonder what's up with the air conditioning today. I have to check my email as soon as I get a chance.

The second I reached the door to the English room and opened it, I noticed an entire classroom of students looking at me. I glanced at the clock, realizing I had arrived right when the class started. Phew, at least I made it on time! I sat down, introduced myself, and placed my bag under the desk. After informing them of their tasks for the day, I multitasked by logging into the computer, loading my email, and retrieving the roster for this class.

It didn't take long to complete the attendance, and the class took out their tools to continue their research papers. Across from where I was sitting, many different books were being read to gather information. Pens were jotting down notes and ideas onto blank, loose-leaf paper. In addition, numerous faces held wondrous, thoughtful expressions as they worked. Lastly, there were a few who preferred computers to do their assignments, and thus, constant, soft clicking of keyboards was added to the mix. The vast sounds of the student's current actions filled my senses, and I closed my eyes briefly, taking it all in. It's always good to be reminded that I am doing what I love; teaching.

I opened my eyes and took a moment to go through my email; the most recent one caught my immediate attention.

~

To: AllUsers
From: Mechanical Services Department
Subject: The air-conditioning system is down

As some may already be aware, our air-conditioning system malfunctioned. If lucky, the approximate ETA of repairs should be around 5 pm. If anything changes, you'll be notified. Your patience is appreciated.