Chapter 12: Suspicions

*Parker's POV*

I awoke the next day feeling rejuvenated and eager to see what my weekend had in store for me. When I left the university, I had no plans for when I got home. All I needed to worry about at some point during the weekend was grading my student's homework assignments and projects. Aside from that, I truly wanted to do whatever came to mind and have fun. I'm not always fortunate enough to do this without pre-existing engagements, so I take full advantage when possible.

When I arrived at the house last night, Shay was already home, cooking us dinner. I greeted her and was excited to spend more time together; we've been working a lot lately. I soon realized that it had been almost a week and a half since she started rigorously training the rookie. I want to know all the details. So, I asked how everything had been going from the last time we spoke about her job. Apparently, I was informed that it was going shockingly well.

Devin listened to everything Shay told her, took notes when deemed vital, was eager to learn the correct way of things, and always asked questions. I could tell how bewildered, happy, and relieved my best friend was, given her most significant worry about that situation was now over. I'm so glad; Shay deserves the best. The only issue she started noticing about the department was that some men would cat-call and wolf-whistle when both of them were doing their jobs together. I guess some guys will always be children.

Aside from our really lovely talk, we ate dinner and had some dessert. Shay made some homemade raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake. I had never tried it before, and after having one slice, I couldn't stop myself from having another. Not too long after that, our night ended with a movie, and we both fell asleep before it was even halfway through. By the time the credits rolled around, we sluggishly dragged ourselves into our own beds for the night.

~

The next time I awoke, it was the following day. When I got my bearings, I was quickly aware of how awake I was, so I got up. I stretched my entire body once I was standing and promptly fixed my bed. Then, I went into the bathroom, used it, and washed my hands before getting to my face and teeth. I headed straight towards the living room, knowing my best friend was most likely there. As soon as I walked in, with a slightly muffled tone, Shay said, "Why are you always attempting to murder me?"

Wrapped up in what looked like three or four long fleece blankets was my best friend. With how she was positioned, I could only see her eyes, and I immediately doubled over with laughter at the sight before me. I knew every time this happened, it was infectious, and Shay would join along. However, it appeared she did her best not to, although... I could clearly see the bundle moving in a way that told me she was giggling, albeit silently.

When I could finally talk again, I said, "Who, me?"

"YES!" Came the dramatic response, and by her tone, she was obviously humored by our current shenanigans.

"I am doing no such thing," I replied, smiling.

"Oh, yes. Yes, you do. You are freezing me to death, and it pains my heart. In fact, due to the lack of an alibi, I should place you under arrest," My best friend dramatically said, matter-of-factly.

"Oh, is that what you should do?" I asked, raising my eyebrow and continuing to play along.

"Yes."

"Don't you need a warrant or probable cause to interrogate me?" I countered, and her eyes squinted at me.

"Attempting to beat me at my own game, are you?" She added, and I chuckled, shaking my head in the process.

"I plead the fifth," I stated, and her eyes widened before she doubled over with laughter. I was wondering how long it would be until she caved in.