Chapter 40: Aftermath

*Bailey's POV*

"I love you, Parker... I love you so much."

What I saw next made me positively happy but also completely ripped my heart in two. The way Parker looked into my eyes, I knew she had heard exactly what I said to her. Her non-verbal reply radiated back at me with her crystal blue orbs. She slightly opened her mouth to respond, but a wave of pain shot through her, and she cringed; seeing it made my heart tighten. Oh, baby... Instead of trying to speak again, my girlfriend lifted her hand and placed it on the side of my face, resting it against my cheek. Without hesitation, I leaned into her touch, my eyes never leaving hers. More tears streamed down my face; however, they were happier ones this time.

Unfortunately, it seemed Parker exuded too much energy by doing that, and her loving action soon resulted in her losing consciousness. My heart dropped, and panic rose inside me like never before. No, Parker, please... please hold on a bit longer... help's on the way. Suddenly, I heard what sounded like the door opening, and Kenneth instantly said, "Drop your gun, lady. Don't make me shoot you like the redhead."

Another tear slid down my face at his words...

The second I heard whoever Kenneth was talking to speak, I felt a sense of safety. I could never mistake Shay's voice as she replied, "No one else needs to get hurt. Let your classmates go, and we can figure out what to do next."

"All I need to do is get out of here, but now the police are here, and everything is just fucked!" He yelled at Parker's best friend, and just hearing that upset me further. He needs to be stopped, and my girlfriend needs help! I wasn't sure what was happening, and it started unnerving me more than ever. The movement I began to hear sounded as if someone was pacing back and forth, but I couldn't be sure... unless I took a look for myself. Should I do that? Is it safe? What if Shay sees me and gets distracted... What if he knows I am here and comes to finish off Parker... Fuck... What the hell do I do?

Before making up my mind, I heard him give Shay an order, "Toss your gun to me!"

I couldn't allow him to get the upper hand without knowing what was going on. I carefully peeked my head up from behind Parker's desk and saw Shay look directly at me, though she did it so quickly that I almost missed it. I guess that's the police officer in her; she knows how to survey and calculate what she does next, especially regarding a hostile perp and whatever her surroundings might be. I watched as his attention never left Shay, and she slowly put the gun to the floor, making him give another instruction, "Now, kick it over to me."

I don't know what made me do what I did next, but... something deep inside told me screaming out his name would distract him. So, after getting out of sight again, I shouted at the top of my lungs, "KENNETH!!"

Even though I said one word, I could feel how raw and sore my throat felt. It was as if it had been scraped by my forceful exertion from how loudly I screamed the shooter's name. Instantly, I wanted to clear my throat a few times to eliminate the lingering scratchy sensation. During that whole moment, I never removed my hand from Parker's wound, and all I heard was Kenneth crying out in pain. Then suddenly, I heard a slamming sound that felt very close to the desk my girlfriend and I were behind. I really hope that yelling his name actually helped Shay and didn't harm anyone... I'm sure Devin is close by, too. They are partners, after all.

Shay was by my side within a few seconds, looking down at Parker and me; I'd never seen that look on her face before... I never knew she could display such despair, apprehension, and fear all at once. When she knelt beside us, the words that escaped her were instant. Shay's pain was extremely evident and easily recognizable as she said, "Fuck. Not again... Parker, you better pull through, or I will kill you myself."